Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to move into our new house in a few days.
Dd is 2 and our current house is the only place she has ever known.
I am worried about the transistion for her.
We have a huge playroom for her at the new house (which we dont have here) and I am planning on slowly bringing some of her things there and having her hang out there a little each day until our final move...

Any other suggestions on making the transition easier for her?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took her there today to hangout and it was fine until she started going stir crazy because she wanted to run all over the rest of the house, which is currently off limits because of major floor work and painting. She had a little meltdown before dp came and picked her up on his lunch break...poor baby, I hope this didnt taint her feelings for the new place.

I cant wait till we can move all her stuff in and she will feel more at home, hopefully

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Definitely be very positive, and also let her know that she's still your baby and that mama and daddy still are there for her. My ds got way clingier after we moved, and it's been a year and he's still not entirely happy here. I think it's very individual. Hopefully your dd will be better at adjusting. It's a tough age to move, they're aware enough to notice, but not verbal enough to talk about it. Make sure to involve her in setting up her room and play stuff.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We just moved with our two year old and the hardest part was getting the house ready before the move. We started calling it the house and then slowly transitioned to 'home house' and now just home. I think he got the idea. Home was a very important term to him. Other than that, things went better than expected, he has done extremely well adjusting, and love the new place. I remember him being very worried about his toys, so we made sure he had some right away, so maybe set up the playroom first thing?!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mraven721
We just moved with our two year old and the hardest part was getting the house ready before the move. We started calling it the house and then slowly transitioned to 'home house' and now just home. I think he got the idea. Home was a very important term to him. Other than that, things went better than expected, he has done extremely well adjusting, and love the new place. I remember him being very worried about his toys, so we made sure he had some right away, so maybe set up the playroom first thing?!!
Thats a good point about what we are calling it. we have just been calling it "The New House" but I dont think she connects that we are not staying where we are now or that she is going to be sleeping there and not here.

I am slowly bringing some of her things....I cant wait until this week is over!

Getting the house ready is the most stressful part too, because I have to do everything at night while dp does everything during the day and my poor baby hasnt gotten to fall asleep with her mommy for about 5 nights now

Thanks for the good advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.