Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...we are moving from NC to GA in mid August. We have 1 cat. (We may be taking a small dog, too...read my TAO WWYD
) Anyone have any experiance moving with a feline? I sence they get attached & territorial with a house. Do you think she will be very upset to be leaving this house? How long will it take her adjust? DH thinks I am silly to worry but the cat & I are very close (OK, don't laugh at me, lol) and I don't want her to be upset.

Advise? TIA!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I moved my 20lb maine **** from about 15hours away to another state. He was very territorial.....

The move went well.....he meowed the whole way there and refused to eat or drink. I had a leash on him to let him out at rest stops. (he travelled in a large roomy crate) I finally got him to drink some water. He seemed....not traumatized, just pissed.

When we got to our new residence, I kept him inside for a week or so, then gradually let him venture outside. 6mos later we moved again.... we bought a home in the same neighborhood (within 3 blocks) and he was fine, just pissed at us again. He got over it both times pretty well.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...maybe I am just a little TOO worried, lol...
I feel better reading that.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I moved with my cat several times within the city and once from Missouri to Texas. He rode in the Moving van with DH, I was following in my car with our dog. DH said he let the cat out of his carrier during long stretches, and he would climb up on his lap to look out the window (got scared of the side mirror though!) but mostly spent the time laying on the seat. Just make sure to offer water and litter box time every time you stop. Limit the food, he probably wont want to eat much anyway. Stopping overnight somewhere can make things easier. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My 3 "babies"(an ocicat and two street kitties) have moved three times now (one has actually moved more w/his daddy before I met him, but I digress). They don't like the change but they do get used to the new place. The worst part is the upset before we move -- they know packing now and they don't like it.

We moved from NYC to NC a couple of years ago (the longest yet, by far at 10 hours with an overnight in a motel). They did ok. There was meowing at the beginning but they eventually settled down with each other and slept. They were a bit wary when we got to the apartment but we made sure they were settled in first (i.e. we showed them their food, water and litter box) before we started unpacking.

It was an adventure but they survived. They actually took the recent death of my DH's mom recently much, much harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.