Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love some opinions from you ladies. I am getting conflicting answers on this...at what age would you wear your child while mowing the lawn, or would you at all? It's a riding mower.

TIA

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with a PP the noise level is a concern, DH and I have considered it, that and also the operation of the tractor (on level terrian)

DD is 5 months and we are trying to find ear protection that would work for DD

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am worried about the noise level too, but other people seem to think it wouldn't be a problem, or that if it was too loud for him, he'd let us know. I think I'll wait until he's big enough for something like those earmuffs. DH has been working a ton lately, so our yard will just have to stay looking like a wheat field for a while longer

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
Not at all. DH just this summer had to have eye surgery from something he hit while mowing the lawn. We never found anything in the yard, and this was a new mower.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
And from the other side of the fence... I have worn my kids (not both at once though, don't know how I'd ever do that!) while mowing. I'm okay with it.

I used to mostly with dd; now dd can watch ds on the porch while I mow.

I used the riding mower & my walking mower with her in a frame pack (tough traveler) and using hearing protection (Stihl). I have used an electric walking mower with ds in my babiesbeyondborders mei tei and that was so quiet, neither of us needed hearing protection.

FWIW; my kids always wear hearing protection (we all do around here!) and they can fit the ear muff kind well and I've also used the earbud type. The trick is to get the earbud wet- helps with mine also.

You asked about age- my daughter rode along alot from 9 mo to over a year, my son about the same.

HTH, Meg

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Not at all- too many potential dangers. Even on the slight chance that something may happen- it would never be worth that risk.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmm... I did it all summer with the babe in my Ergo (she was 10-13 months) on my back. It is just a regular push mower, our yard isn't that big so it only took about 40 minutes or so. Maybe I am crazy and alone in this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnamCara View Post
Push reels are great! No noise, no stink. Just can't let it go for very long.

I would love to, but....we have almost 2 acres to mow. We had no idea what we were signing up for when we bought this place!
: And now with the baby it's almost impossible. Oh well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
FWIW; my kids always wear hearing protection (we all do around here!) and they can fit the ear muff kind well and I've also used the earbud type. The trick is to get the earbud wet- helps with mine also.

You asked about age- my daughter rode along alot from 9 mo to over a year, my son about the same.
Thanks! Maybe by next summer when he's about a year old and can use some kind of ear protection I'll feel more comfortable.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
679 Posts
And give up the best excuse I have to make DH do it? Are you joking?

Actually, I did something even better -- I paid my neighbor's kid (he's 13) to mow my lawn for me for $10. He's thrilled, I'm happy because he does a better job than my DH, and DH is thrilled because he gets out of it.
Though the kid got enterprising -- halfway through the summer, he told me he needed to start charging me $15 because he has to clean up all the kids' toys first and it takes so long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.