Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I think I may have MRSA. It hasn't been cultured, but I went to the Dr. numerous times, and they kept saying staph, but weren't sure unless it was cultured...which they never did! Anyway..I noticed the 1st bump a couple of months ago..I got on the antibiotic keflex (sp?) (the only one safe for bf). I lost the bottle halfway through..found it days later, then took the rest. Well, it came back. Went back to the Dr, she gave me another round of Keflex. Took that..it went away..then I noticed it again! So, I went back and she prescribed Keflex again!! When I asked her why, she said "let's just try this again, and if it comes back, you'll have to STOP bf'ing and get on a different antibiotic. I was so frustrated when I left, I felt like I was going to cry. I have a 3 mo. old & a 2 yr. old whom both nurse. And they're is no way in hell I'm going to stop bf'ing!!!</p>
<p>So, I started researching natural remedies, and have been considering colloidal silver. Also, I've been putting tea tree oil on it, and washing with hibiclens nightly. I'm just so worried that one of my kids will catch it! And I'm so scared it will keep coming back..I just don't know what to do. Please if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!!! </p>

·
Registered
655 Posts
<p>We dealt with MRSA in our house.  It first started with my daughter on her bottom, then I got it from her.  Anyway, MRSA is VERY painful.  And it will usually get worse then just a bump.  Can you describe it to me?  Is it extremely painful?  Is there pus coming from it?  My daughter just had another MRSA bump on her bottom recently and we started putting raw honey on it and then covering it with a bandaid.  After a few days it went away.  Putting tea tree oil on it is also good.  If your bump is filled with pus you will need to get that out before anything will work.  You can soak it in warm water for a while and then squeeze the pus out.  Then put either raw honey or tea tree oil(diluted) in the would and cover it.  Do this several times a day.  Our doctors always said that even if you take antibiotics, if the would is filled with pus then there is no way for the meds to get to it.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  I almost feel like an expert when it comes to MRSA now!!!  And I know how you feel about the breastfeeding.  My daughter was about 15 months when we first got this.  And the only meds that made mine go away were super powerful and you couldn't breastfeed while taking them.  So I had to stop breastfeeding and was very sad.  Your youngest is very small, so hopefully you will continue to be able to.  If you have to stop, then see if you can find a breastmilk sharing program or if you have a friend who would share.  Then you could pump and dump until you were threw with your meds and then start back up again.  I hope this info helps you!  And again, let me know if you have other questions!!!</p>
<p>Kristen</p>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>No, I've never tried the manuka honey. I will look into that. Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kristen, I have been putting TTO on them every night, covered with a bandaid, and started taking silver biotics yesterday..Today, I've noticed a big improvement! And I haven't even opened the bottle of antibiotics prescribed to me. I don't want to get too excited cuz I know it could turn around really quick, but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. They look like they are drying up. I only have 2 bumps and as off right now, I haven't gotten any more. Only one of them had pus in it, and I put a warm compress on it & squeezed that out before starting the TTO. They were never really painful, but I just got very worried because I had one on my breast before that looked just like all the others at first, then it turned into an absess. Luckily, it opened itself and I was able to squeeze all of the pus out without getting it lanced. </p>
<p>So, is honey suppose to be an antibacterial or something? I've never heard of that. Thank you so much for your input!! </p>

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
<p>Honey is antibacterial.  I'm glad you found something that works.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There is a topical antibiotic that sometimes works for normal staph (although the fact that yours keeps recurring speaks against normal staph) called Bactroban.  It's been a miracle worker in my house.  Keep going on the hibiclens and the other stuff you are doing.  Do it past the time it seems healed, then reasses.  I really hope you don't have to stop nursing!</p>

·
Registered
655 Posts
<p>Yes, honey has antibacterial properties in it.  I'm glad they are getting better.  We've had really good luck with TTO also.  We don't have any right now and that's why we decided to try the honey.  It's amazing just how painful one of those bumps can be, even when they are small!!  I hope you get them to go away totally with just what you are doing.  My poor daughter has been on antibiotics so many times in the last year because we couldn't get them to go away without them!  Let me know how you are doing in a couple of days!!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts