Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,899 Posts
Did anyone read the article about the CA law? I'm anti-spanking, but it seems to me that inflicting punishment (fine and jail) in order to prevent punishment is assinine. We don't need more laws, we need more education and supportive social services.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
I voted. What a sad reflection on our culture.

I do support laws protecting children. I see it less as an issue of parental "rights" to hit than of a child's right to not be hit. But I think our law should at least start with non-penal consequences. It works in 19 other countries -- I don't understand how the law protects everyone except the most vulnerable from violence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
I hadn't heard about jail time as penalty, but am all for the law, for so many different reasons. One reason is that some parents have literally never heard that they should not hit their baby, and in fact think it is the responsible thing to do.

Also, it isn't inflicting punishment (jail time) to deter punishment per se, it is inflicting punishment for specifically assaulting a child. Just like when one assaults another adult they may go to jail.

~Tracy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I hadn't heard about jail time as penalty, but am all for the law, for so many different reasons. One reason is that some parents have literally never heard that they should not hit their baby, and in fact think it is the responsible thing to do.

Also, it isn't inflicting punishment (jail time) to deter punishment per se, it is inflicting punishment for specifically assaulting a child. Just like when one assaults another adult they may go to jail.

~Tracy
Not only that, the legislation, which I believe was unfortunately dropped, only mandated parenting classes for punishment, and that was only for kids under three.

I really wonder about this country's morality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by natensarah View Post
Not only that, the legislation, which I believe was unfortunately dropped, only mandated parenting classes for punishment, and that was only for kids under three.

I really wonder about this country's morality.
The law was dramatically revised. It now only prohibits things like hitting babies in the head and face, shaking and other patently abusive acts. I also find it shocking that so many Americans cling to their "right" to hit babies/small children.

As another poster wisely stated in another thread (sorry - don't remember who or I'd credit her!): either children have a right to live free from hitting or they don't. That is the issue. Not the "right" of an adult to hit a child. I don't believe any such right exists. I look forward for domestic violence laws to cover ALL members of the family. Just as it was once legal to hit one's wife, I hope the "right" to hit little ones one day disappears from our culture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by peacelovingmama View Post
The law was dramatically revised. It now only prohibits things like hitting babies in the head and face, shaking and other patently abusive acts. I also find it shocking that so many Americans cling to their "right" to hit babies/small children.
Oh! I heard the congresswoman who sponsored it on NPR, and I thought she said she was dropping the whole bill. I agree, those are patently abusive acts, and I'm pretty sure that your children would be removed from the home if you were comitting them, at least here they would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by natensarah View Post
Oh! I heard the congresswoman who sponsored it on NPR, and I thought she said she was dropping the whole bill. I agree, those are patently abusive acts, and I'm pretty sure that your children would be removed from the home if you were comitting them, at least here they would.
Oh - you could be right. I read about the revisions a while ago but maybe she's dropped the whole bill. Either way, sad.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
86% in favour?

I am shocked!
I live in a very conservative area, and I think 86% would be high for even here. I have a feeling that some pro-spanking websites may be circulating this poll as well. People can vote more than once, I believe, so they may be stuffing the ballot box, so to speak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
:

I knew I shouldn't have gone in to read comments. The one person saying that ideally, the father as opposed to the mother should hit the children.
: Another explaining that she hits her kids with a wooden spoon but that it is ridiculous that people confuse "spanking" and "hitting" because, after all, hitting (oops, I mean "spanking") with a wooden stick is NOT hitting. Good grief! Just like circumcising involves no "cutting" and CIO involves no "crying." I guess people will believe anything if it rationalizes what they want to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
According to scientific polls (i.e. not the ones on the internet where the respondents are self-selected), only about 50% of American parents spank, and only 67% think spanking is acceptable. I'm pretty sure poll results like these are skewed by pro-spanking websites mobilizing people to vote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Unreal. I just cannot fathom how people can hit their children and think it's okay -even good. I surround myself with people who gentle discipline their children and when I step out of my bubble I am always so shocked and heart broken. 85%
:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top