Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There! I am not a fancy cooker but I would like some good EASY recipes for muffins of all kinds. For some reason I am starting to crave them & feel like I am going to want them after I have the baby so the easier the better & if you have any recipes for muffins that freeze well that would be great!<br>
All kinds blueberry, cranberry, whole wheat, banana nut, chocolate chip, cherry, whatever comes to mind<br>
Thank you!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
In the complete Tightwad Gazette there is a universal muffin recipe. It's really cool. You can make any type of muffin from it. Your library probably has it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's the recipe that's been used by granny forever, "healthified" -somewhat- by me (you can either do 12 muffins or a 9by5 loaf<br><b>Banana Bread</b><br>
3/4c. sugar or other dry sweetener<br>
1/3c. oil of choice, melted butter is also quite tasty, if you are that way inclined<br>
1 egg or equivalent replacer<br>
1tsp. baking soda<br>
1/2c. buttermilk<br>
3 mashed bananas<br>
combine the above very well and add 1 1/2c. flour (granny uses white, but whole wheat is fantastic "full strength" - sometimes I'll use 1 1/4c. ww flour and 1/3c. oats) divide into 12 lined muffin cups and bake until done, about 20 min....a loaf will take about an hour @350F (if I do a loaf, I usually turn the oven down to 325F during the last half of baking so the top doesn't burn).<br><br>
How I change the recipe:<br>
take out the banana and put in 1c. pumpkin puree and 1/2tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a smaller amount of cloves)<br>
blueberry - I usually keep the banana and throw in a handful or two of fresh or still frozen bluberries<br>
dried fruit....still keeping the banana i'll add in some chopped dried peaches or strawberries<br>
lemon poppyseed - no banana, increase the oil to 1/2c., the buttermilk to 2/3c., sugar to 1c., add the zest of one lemon and about 1/3c. poppyseeds. bake and brush with a lemon syrup once they are done (I usually use 1/4c. water, 1/4c. lemon juice and 1/3c. sugar, bring to a boil on the stove and that's that)<br>
I also like to sprinkle alot of my muffins with a crumble before baking - mix up a bunch of this and keep it in the freezer - 1/2c. butter, 2/3c. brown sugar, 2/3c. oats, 2/3c. flour (ok....so I never measure when I make this, so it might need more butter to make it more crumbly or more "stuff"....nuts are also good in this.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I made awesome cranberry orange muffins a few months ago. I think I got the recipe from allrecipes.com (or something like that lol). Anyway I bet if you do a search, you could find a recipe for them<br>
Susan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts