Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's the recipe that's been used by granny forever, "healthified" -somewhat- by me (you can either do 12 muffins or a 9by5 loaf
Banana Bread
3/4c. sugar or other dry sweetener
1/3c. oil of choice, melted butter is also quite tasty, if you are that way inclined
1 egg or equivalent replacer
1tsp. baking soda
1/2c. buttermilk
3 mashed bananas
combine the above very well and add 1 1/2c. flour (granny uses white, but whole wheat is fantastic "full strength" - sometimes I'll use 1 1/4c. ww flour and 1/3c. oats) divide into 12 lined muffin cups and bake until done, about 20 min....a loaf will take about an hour @350F (if I do a loaf, I usually turn the oven down to 325F during the last half of baking so the top doesn't burn).

How I change the recipe:
take out the banana and put in 1c. pumpkin puree and 1/2tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a smaller amount of cloves)
blueberry - I usually keep the banana and throw in a handful or two of fresh or still frozen bluberries
dried fruit....still keeping the banana i'll add in some chopped dried peaches or strawberries
lemon poppyseed - no banana, increase the oil to 1/2c., the buttermilk to 2/3c., sugar to 1c., add the zest of one lemon and about 1/3c. poppyseeds. bake and brush with a lemon syrup once they are done (I usually use 1/4c. water, 1/4c. lemon juice and 1/3c. sugar, bring to a boil on the stove and that's that)
I also like to sprinkle alot of my muffins with a crumble before baking - mix up a bunch of this and keep it in the freezer - 1/2c. butter, 2/3c. brown sugar, 2/3c. oats, 2/3c. flour (ok....so I never measure when I make this, so it might need more butter to make it more crumbly or more "stuff"....nuts are also good in this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.