Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that if you have different yogurt cultures, they can ruin each other and make eachother stringy or something like that. So does this mean I shouldn't have two different types in my house together, or just not culturing at the same time, or not stored in the fridge together or not using the same equipment for different types...I mean, how strict do I need to be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
When your yogurts are culturing (lids off, just covered with a towel or something where they have access to air), you want to keep at least several feet (and preferably more space) in between them. With the lids on tightly, they can be stored just fine in the same fridge. Other than that, just use basic hygiene (wash utensils in between cultures, etc.). Nothing too major. I maintain a very large number of cultures without issues as long as basic precautions are taken.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Ok, ok, set me straight, all this time I have had the lids screwed tightly when making yogurt. Does that mean that I have to keep them off. I always get beautiful yogurt.
(sorry it has really nothing to do with the thread)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Ok, ok, set me straight, all this time I have had the lids screwed tightly when making yogurt. Does that mean that I have to keep them off. I always get beautiful yogurt.
(sorry it has really nothing to do with the thread)
For the room temperature yogurt varieties, breathing is good while culturing but if having the lids on is working for you...I'd keep doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.