Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title probably didn't make much sense, but here's my situation. I have had a Web design business for the past six years. I'm going to be branching out to sell some sewn items and possibly some of my art (I had an inquiry about buying something I made). Right now my Web design biz is set up as a sole proprietorship. Do I need to get a separate license for the new ventures or can I do it all under one business license. Are there advantages to either?

TIA!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have my web design business, a hosting business, an ecommerce business, etc. I have an "umbrella" company that is an LLC -- the others are just my LLC doing business under the other names.

Is that what you mean?

Also, whether or not you need a license depends on where you are at. I didn't not need any kind of license for any of my businesses -- just needed to fill out the proper tax forms and dba forms.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Check with your state dept of revenue (or whoever you'd get the licence from). It varies SO much depending on where you live. In my state, I don't need a licence at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.