Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-<br>
Maybe there was a post about this already? Sorry...<br><br>
I admit I don't know much about the details, but apparently there has been a mumps "outbreak" here and I'm wondering what any non-vaccinated mamas think about all that. I've talked to several people/docs and of course, get varying opinions. So just looking for some more thoughts...<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
jen

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi Jen!<br><br>
You know.. I heard about this on Thanksgiving and the same day DS was coming down with a cold and was pulling his ears. I will admit, I got nervous and went online to read about the mumps!<br><br>
I *think* the outbreak was a few adults in the Portland area and the CDC couldn't figure out if in any way these adults paths had crossed, so it is assumed that there are more cases out there.<br><br>
DS is partially vaxed and his pedi was fine with it since DS has his allergies and we had just joked about not getting the MMR at his 2 year visit! Pedi said "oh yeah there haven't been any cases in soooo long.." then 4 days later BAM the outbreak!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Afaik there have been only 2 confirmed cases. Both were adults from the same college community in Portland. Chances are good that there are more but since that is uncomfirmed it probably means people aren't sick enough to be seeking medical care from a hospital or campus health center (who would in turn report it).<br><br>
So, it's on my mind but I'm not going to get ds his MMR because of it. Mumps concerns me, but the MMR scares the * out of me! I may be more willing to take the risk if ds is 13 and hasn't had any of them naturally, but not when he's two and chances of complications are so low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts