Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More mumps.

This time 18 people (all vaccinated) have come down with it.

Of course, it's probably a mutated strain.....:wink:

County Health Commissioner Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein tells us that of the 18 confirmed cases, most patients are between the ages of 19 and 30. A few, however, are in their 50s.

The patients came down with symptoms over the last few days – despite having already been vaccinated.

“Sometimes nature throws a strain at us that might have mutated a little bit, and coverage of the vaccine is not 100 percent,” Eisenstein explained.
http://www.fios1news.com/longisland/long-beach-mumps-outbreak#.V6CbIUYrKVO

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
So, is this 'mutated' strain going to take hold of that age population? Oh wait, I think it already has, considering the amount of people in that age range who have come down with mumps despite full vaccination...or, maybe the almighty vaccine is, quite possibly, the failure that it is and is known for. But let's just come up with some nonsensical excuse to appease the public.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
On another thread we are told that the death rate from chickenpox is very high in adults and that is why we need to vaccinate all the toddlers.

Considering the failure rate of the mumps vaccine in adults, what if we end up with a high failure rate for the chickenpox vaccine in adults? That could result in actual deaths, not just misery as with mumps. Spooky.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMWR - July 29, 2016

Mumps Outbreak at a University and Recommendation for a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine — Illinois, 2015–2016

Among the 317 cases identified, at the time of parotitis onset, 50 (16%) mumps patients had received 3 doses of MMR vaccine, 232 (73%) had received 2 doses, 12 (4%) had received 1 dose, seven (2%) were unvaccinated, and 16 (5%) had unknown vaccination status. Forty-five (90%) of the 50 patients with a third dose received it during this outbreak, and five (10%) received it in prior years for reasons unrelated to this outbreak. Some of the 45 persons who received a third dose during this outbreak might have been exposed before vaccine-induced immunity was boosted. Eleven (24%) of the 45 patients had parotitis onset on the same day or within 2 weeks after receiving the third dose, six (13%) within 2–4 weeks, and 27 (60%) >4 weeks after. One (2%) patient received a third dose 3 days after parotitis onset.
Clearly, the mumps vaccine has a high failure rate, however, that doesn't put off the "experts" at the CDC from recommending an often ineffective third dose.

As in many previously described mumps outbreaks, this outbreak was characterized by sustained transmission, despite high 2-dose MMR vaccination coverage (4–7). Two doses of MMR vaccine are currently routinely recommended for the prevention of mumps; the first for children at 12–15 months of age and the second for children at 4–6 years of age (2). The median vaccine effectiveness against mumps has been estimated at 78% for 1 dose and 88% for 2 doses (2). However, 2-dose vaccine failure and possible waning of vaccine-induced immunity have been described in recent outbreaks, particularly in high-density, close-contact settings (4–8). Because outbreaks occur despite high 2-dose coverage, a third dose has been provided as a control measure to targeted populations during previous outbreaks (4,5,7).
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6529a2.htm?s_cid=mm6529a2_w

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I'm surprised (not surprised) that they'd recommend a vaccine with known side effects in adults such as MMR. It's well documented that MMR in adults causes sometimes severe side effects:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK234372/

13-15% of adult women who get the vaccine will get arthritis. Do you think they're telling all these young college girls lining up that 3 out of every 20 of them that get this vaccine again will get potentially life long crippling arthritis?

And what are the dangers of mumps in an adult woman?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More mumps, this time in four separate schools in Arkansas.

http://www.4029tv.com/news/state-he...-outbreak-among-4-springdale-schools/41454414

Four non-vaccinated kids (with exemptions and no mumps) have been excluded from school so that probably means all those that contracted mumps were vaccinated (oops). Speculation on my part: it is interesting how these cases show up right after the new school year begins when children are receiving their "mandated" vaccinations, vaccine shedding going here maybe?

·
Registered
24,732 Posts

·
Registered
18,843 Posts

http://www.4029tv.com/news/state-he...-outbreak-among-4-springdale-schools/41454414

Four non-vaccinated kids (with exemptions and no mumps) have been excluded from school so that probably means all those that contracted mumps were vaccinated (oops). Speculation on my part: it is interesting how these cases show up right after the new school year begins when children are receiving their "mandated" vaccinations, vaccine shedding going here maybe?
Will parents start to complain as all of their "properly" vaxed darlings get the mumps because they are forced to continue to go to school and be exposed even though the evidence points to the vaccine failing? Probably too complex a concept...

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

Will parents start to complain as all of their "properly" vaxed darlings get the mumps because they are forced to continue to go to school and be exposed even though the evidence points to the vaccine failing? Probably too complex a concept...
If any of the provax posters suggested non vaxers were too stupid to understand the evidence which shows vaccinating is safer than not vaccinating you (General you not directing this at Deborah) would be all over reporting the post.

Here Deborah suggests most parents are too stupid to understand that when vpds are circulating their vaccinated children are at increased risk of getting sick (vaccines are not magic fairy dust).

Just pointing out the inconsistency.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
If any of the provax posters suggested non vaxers were too stupid to understand the evidence which shows vaccinating is safer than not vaccinating you (General you not directing this at Deborah) would be all over reporting the post.

Here Deborah suggests most parents are too stupid to understand that when vpds are circulating their vaccinated children are at increased risk of getting sick (vaccines are not magic fairy dust).

You are right, I shouldn't have put it that way.

·
Registered
880 Posts

I think the issue Deborah is pointing out is that important issues like keeping sick people home are, at least in this country, ignored in favor of policies that suggest vaccination IS "magic fairy dust" and parents would be well within their rights to complain about that.

If your properly vaccinated child was kept home during an outbreak of mumps affecting her school, she would have unexcused absences, which would affect her grades. Yet we know that mumps will spread, at rates greater than or equal to 18%, among fully vaccinated populations, particularly populations in crowded conditions or an environment with limited hand washing, etc. (which certainly describes most elementary and middle schools.)

So, despite valid public health issues when contagious disease occurs, the emphasis on vaccination as a disease prophylaxis undermines the safety of vaccinated students.

That seems a reasonable thing to complain about to me...doesn't it to you?

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
I think the issue Deborah is pointing out is that important issues like keeping sick people home are, at least in this country, ignored in favor of policies that suggest vaccination IS "magic fairy dust" and parents would be well within their rights to complain about that.

If your properly vaccinated child was kept home during an outbreak of mumps affecting her school, she would have unexcused absences, which would affect her grades. Yet we know that mumps will spread, at rates greater than or equal to 18%, among fully vaccinated populations, particularly populations in crowded conditions or an environment with limited hand washing, etc. (which certainly describes most elementary and middle schools.)

So, despite valid public health issues when contagious disease occurs, the emphasis on vaccination as a disease prophylaxis undermines the safety of vaccinated students.

That seems a reasonable thing to complain about to me...doesn't it to you?
It is a reasonable thing to complain about. I just said it badly. Thanks for expressing it effectively!:grin:

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
In the document @Mirzam posted they say that only the kids with non-medical exemptions will be excluded from school. They've got it backwards. The children with medical exemptions are the vulnerable ones if they catch mumps. They desperately need to be kept at home.

·
Registered
880 Posts
In the document @Mirzam posted they say that only the kids with non-medical exemptions will be excluded from school. They've got it backwards. The children with medical exemptions are the vulnerable ones if they catch mumps. They desperately need to be kept at home.
I'm sorry, I think you've misread that.

What they are saying is, "if your exemption is not a medical one, and you get the shots, you can come back."

Apparently they believe one's religion is less firmly affixed than I do.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It isn't even scientific. Vaccines are not magic fairy dust that provide immediate protection. The MMR is also a live vaccine with the potential risk of shedding.

Anyway, why such hysteria about mumps. Were all children sent home for almost a month back in the day when there was no vaccine, when a few children at school had mumps?

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
I'm sorry, I think you've misread that.

What they are saying is, "if your exemption is not a medical one, and you get the shots, you can come back."

Apparently they believe one's religion is less firmly affixed than I do.
Well, yes, they are saying that if you get the vaccine you can come back, but they are saying that children who have a medical exemption can be in a school where there is an actual outbreak of an actual vaccine "preventable" illness despite whatever sort of severe health problem they may have that precludes getting the vaccine. That doesn't make sense. If these children are the reason that everyone has to be vaxed to protect them...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well, yes, they are saying that if you get the vaccine you can come back, but they are saying that children who have a medical exemption can be in a school where there is an actual outbreak of an actual vaccine "preventable" illness despite whatever sort of severe health problem they may have that precludes getting the vaccine. That doesn't make sense. If these children are the reason that everyone has to be vaxed to protect them...
You'll have to help me, then.

In all the colleges where we have filed exemptions, the rule is that unvaccinated kids, whatever the reason they're unvaccinated, get sent home during an outbreak.

However, this says, "but if you change your status to vaccinated, you can come back."

A couple of my daughter's friends have medical exemptions, and they were joking they'd make a study group.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts