Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having muscle spasms a lot in the last week. One woke me from sleep and was excruciating in my leg. It left me sore. The rest have been in my chest mostly and arms. At first I thought it was fatigue from exercise, but I really don't see how. I challenge myself but am very careful. I only exercise for 45 minutes 5 days a week with one session lasting 1 1/2 hours. I am also doing the 100 push-up program. I am hydrated for certain and eat plenty of sea salt.
A friend did a muscle test on me and she said it shows I'm having a digestion issue. She thinks it is all the fat and protein I've been eating. I have noticed I'm not absorbing my prenatal vitamins as well as I used to as they are turning my urine bright yellow. I don't feel bad any other way. I have plenty of energy. I'm still losing hair, but am wondering if it is hormonal. I've suspected adrenal fatigue, but can't afford any testing. My mood is fine. Really I feel healthy.
I had always heard muscle spasms like charlie horses and twitching were due to lack of potassium. Can't seem to find if that is true or not. Any thoughts nutrition wise. I am in the process of tweaking my diet for Spring and warm weather from our winter cuisine. Wonder if I should do some kind of cleanse. I am reluctant though where I am breastfeeding.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I did a quickie google search last night on this, since I've started having my own muscle cramps recently. Several minerals came up as being possible definciencies if you're getting cramps. I think the main ones websites said were magnesium, calcium, and sodium. I seem to remember hearing it was lack of pottassium once upon a time too.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Subbing cuz I was up twice last night with a bad leg cramp, haven't had those since I was pg!

It took over a year after my last c/s for the hair loss to completely stop. I thought maybe because I'm older now but...?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See that's what is getting me. I am taking a prenatal vitamin with extra calcium, magnesium, and I eat plenty of sea salt on my food. My friend seems to think I need a liver cleanse and a digestive enzyme. I don't want to get in a cleanse because of bfing. I wonder if increasing my fermented diet would help with enzymes. I probably could stand more ferments in my diet.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Well, could be. Seems like we are kind of in the same boat... I eat sea salt, take rainbow lite prenatals, eat fermented foods a few times a week, and I just started taking some digestive enzymes about a week ago. But dd has been doing a lot of nursing lately so perhaps I am just not keeping up with the demands on my body right now.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Many people have long-term magnesium deficiencies. It is lost from food processing easier than other minerals and so for some of us (me) all those years of eating not-so-great foods finally catch up with us. A lot of people need to take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium (some people say at separate times) for quite a while before they get caught up. Some people need more mag than calcium for a while.

If you have adrenal fatigue, depending on how far you are into it, you could have a sodium-potassium imbalance. I feel best right now drinking an extra 1 tsp of sea salt in a glass of water each day PLUS salting my food to taste (but I also couldn't exercise as much as you are, so hopefully you are much better off than I am). Folks who are earlier in the process may need extra potassium, but I think the salt cravings are more common in people who recognize that they have adrenal issues.

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that bright yellow pee from your multi is a sign you aren't absorbing the B vitamins. I think pee gets brighter yellow when it becomes more acidic, so you may need additional minerals, or your adrenals could be getting more worn down. So I'd think either more sodium, or an additional multi-mineral, or maybe just mag.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use to have a lot of trouble with muscle spasms (esp at night, ouch!). Since I started putting trace minerals in my water, they've disappeared. I took a lot at first, but lately its just a couple of drops, here and there, whenever I remember.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I started getting leg cramps during pregnancy and they continued afterwards. I was supping magnesium and calcium during that time, but not enough mg I think. Heavy duty magnesium supping has finally taken them away. I take the full dose of Natural Calm (600mg, I think?) every night before bed, and haven't had a leg cramp in a few months now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I've been having muscle spasms a lot in the last week. One woke me from sleep and was excruciating in my leg. It left me sore. The rest have been in my chest mostly and arms. At first I thought it was fatigue from exercise, but I really don't see how. I challenge myself but am very careful. I only exercise for 45 minutes 5 days a week with one session lasting 1 1/2 hours. I am also doing the 100 push-up program. I am hydrated for certain and eat plenty of sea salt.
A friend did a muscle test on me and she said it shows I'm having a digestion issue. She thinks it is all the fat and protein I've been eating. I have noticed I'm not absorbing my prenatal vitamins as well as I used to as they are turning my urine bright yellow. I don't feel bad any other way. I have plenty of energy. I'm still losing hair, but am wondering if it is hormonal. I've suspected adrenal fatigue, but can't afford any testing. My mood is fine. Really I feel healthy.
I had always heard muscle spasms like charlie horses and twitching were due to lack of potassium. Can't seem to find if that is true or not. Any thoughts nutrition wise. I am in the process of tweaking my diet for Spring and warm weather from our winter cuisine. Wonder if I should do some kind of cleanse. I am reluctant though where I am breastfeeding.
Have you looked into Hypothyroidism? I know that hair falling out is a common symptom and I think muscle cramping is too. I hope it's not the case for you but if you haven't checked you may want to.

If you can't afford the test I've read about how people test themselves by taking their temp with a basal thermometer daily. Not sure of all the details but I'm sure you could find it pretty easily with a search.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Many people have long-term magnesium deficiencies. It is lost from food processing easier than other minerals and so for some of us (me) all those years of eating not-so-great foods finally catch up with us. A lot of people need to take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium (some people say at separate times) for quite a while before they get caught up. Some people need more mag than calcium for a while.

If you have adrenal fatigue, depending on how far you are into it, you could have a sodium-potassium imbalance. I feel best right now drinking an extra 1 tsp of sea salt in a glass of water each day PLUS salting my food to taste (but I also couldn't exercise as much as you are, so hopefully you are much better off than I am). Folks who are earlier in the process may need extra potassium, but I think the salt cravings are more common in people who recognize that they have adrenal issues.

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that bright yellow pee from your multi is a sign you aren't absorbing the B vitamins. I think pee gets brighter yellow when it becomes more acidic, so you may need additional minerals, or your adrenals could be getting more worn down. So I'd think either more sodium, or an additional multi-mineral, or maybe just mag.

Tanya - you always beat me to it!

I also wanted to add that a dry vitamin isn't the best way to get nutrients. you're body doesn't absorb hardly any of them for the most part. and some minerals must be eaten in a certain way or with certain foods in order for you body to absorb them.

For mag/sodium I drink plenty of water and eat plenty of sea salt. I never drink water without having some sort of salt in or with it or I get and upset stomach. this helps with leg cramps AND adrenal problems. (I've only had one really bad cramp this whole pregnancy and that is super unusual for me!)

other things to take into consideration are food with natural mag like bone broths - great sort of MANY minerals and something about bone broth - it just so easily absorbed! some people call it a miracle food b/c it works so well to relieve so many deficiencies. also good with lots of sea salts yum!

if you have long term deficiencies it may take a while to "fix". some people find help by taking vitamins AND changing their diets. (I do this for some things) but never just rely on the vitamin.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimibell View Post
Have you looked into Hypothyroidism? I know that hair falling out is a common symptom and I think muscle cramping is too. I hope it's not the case for you but if you haven't checked you may want to.

If you can't afford the test I've read about how people test themselves by taking their temp with a basal thermometer daily. Not sure of all the details but I'm sure you could find it pretty easily with a search.
Shoot, I hope not. All 4 of my grandmother's children are on synthetic thyroid medicine and my baby sister has Grave's Disease. I had mine checked after DD2 was born and they said it was fine. I usually have it checked every few years just to keep on the up and up, but now I don't have insurance. That's a yucky thought. I feel great otherwise though. Healthier than ever.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I eat a lot of nuts especially cashews. It seems like someone told me a while back that they have a lot of mag. I have also thought about drinking the water we get for cooking. We get our cooking water from a coal bank, so it comes straight from underground. It tastes a bit salty and is very fresh. I'm sure it is mineral rich and that would save us from buying bottled Spring Water. Okay, lots of good thoughts now.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
Shoot, I hope not. All 4 of my grandmother's children are on synthetic thyroid medicine and my baby sister has Grave's Disease. I had mine checked after DD2 was born and they said it was fine. I usually have it checked every few years just to keep on the up and up, but now I don't have insurance. That's a yucky thought. I feel great otherwise though. Healthier than ever.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I eat a lot of nuts especially cashews. It seems like someone told me a while back that they have a lot of mag. I have also thought about drinking the water we get for cooking. We get our cooking water from a coal bank, so it comes straight from underground. It tastes a bit salty and is very fresh. I'm sure it is mineral rich and that would save us from buying bottled Spring Water. Okay, lots of good thoughts now.
No!!! It's not a bad thing! It's a huge clue as to what your body needs! I have hypo all through my family, my mom has Grave's. And it has to do with inherited nutritional deficiencies and tendencies toward certain types of health problems for us. At first I thought it was a bummer when I became hypo, but eventually I realized that my body needed different things, and was susceptible to different things than, for instance, my husband's family (no hypo, no depression in his family, lots of type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure though).

Hypothyroidism doesn't have to be a forever thing. It certainly wasn't with me. And you may not be hypo, I'm not saying you are, but exploring the possibility doesn't mean you're stuck on meds forever, it means you learn about what your body needs.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Maybe, I need to try this trace minerals thing, because i get REALLY bad foot spasms (that i friggin have to breathe through
pretty often. I hate knowing that it could be due to a mineral deficiency with how hard I work make sure the food I buy and prepare are good for me to eat.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
No!!! It's not a bad thing! It's a huge clue as to what your body needs! I have hypo all through my family, my mom has Grave's. And it has to do with inherited nutritional deficiencies and tendencies toward certain types of health problems for us. At first I thought it was a bummer when I became hypo, but eventually I realized that my body needed different things, and was susceptible to different things than, for instance, my husband's family (no hypo, no depression in his family, lots of type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure though).

Hypothyroidism doesn't have to be a forever thing. It certainly wasn't with me. And you may not be hypo, I'm not saying you are, but exploring the possibility doesn't mean you're stuck on meds forever, it means you learn about what your body needs.
Thank you. Encouraging words. nak I have watched my sis suffer so much. It's good to look at it from that perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Maybe, I need to try this trace minerals thing, because i get REALLY bad foot spasms (that i friggin have to breathe through
pretty often. I hate knowing that it could be due to a mineral deficiency with how hard I work make sure the food I buy and prepare are good for me to eat.
I think I'm going this route too w/ water as I mentioned before and looking at increasing those minerals through food. Any thoughts on what kinds of foods and food combos?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
I started getting leg cramps during pregnancy and they continued afterwards. I was supping magnesium and calcium during that time, but not enough mg I think. Heavy duty magnesium supping has finally taken them away. I take the full dose of Natural Calm (600mg, I think?) every night before bed, and haven't had a leg cramp in a few months now.
Is this synthetic? Does anyone have any other natural varieties or food suggestions to boost magnesium. I am pregnant and have muscle cramps twice now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.