Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think the reason that Linden wakes up so much is cause his legs hurt. We massage them, and as long as we're massaging, he'll stop crying. Well last night was really bad. He woke up every 15 minutes or so crying for the majority of the night. I stuck some rice in a pair of socks and heated it up and put each one under one of his legs. It was the longest stretch of sleep I had all night. I did it again the next time he woke up and it worked alright that time. So, my question is, is there anything i can do to prevent or relieve these cramps? I kind of want to put a heating pad under his legs at night, but I think that could be dangerous. But I'm rather desperate. If it goes on much longer I'm just going to cal the neuro and see if there's anything he can prescribe. Thanks,<br>
Courey

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think putting a heating pad under his legs is probably not a good idea. It sounds like the warmth really helped, though, so maybe if he started off the night in warm-from-the-dryer jammies and the rice bags all ready on some nice warm sheets? Just throwing out some random ideas here!<br><br>
Also, and I hope I'm remembering right, is Linden still being evaluated for MD or related issues? Could this be related to that potential diagnosis? Perhaps running it by the doc could give you some answers or suggestions on pain relief.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, he's still being evaluated by the neruo muscular clinic. He has denervation of the muscles, so we know he has a neuromuscular disease, we just need to find out which one. I'm sure it's probably related, but they said he shouldn't have any pain, so who knows. His leg muscles have started feeling like they have a pulse sometimes, so I wonder if when that happens a lot they get tired and sore or something. I don't know if twitching would really make the pain worse or not, but that's all I can think that might cause it.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I wouldn't use a heating pad, either. He's too little. You could use a hot water bottle and make sure the watr you put in isn't oo hot. Wrap it up in a towel and put it under his legs. THen you can just refill it if he wakes up fussy b/c it's cold. OR another idea I just had is to get a heating pad, but use it to keep another rice bag heating up, so you don't have to go downstairs to heat one up when the first one gets cold.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't know how it would work in a little one but can you give him extra magnesium or something like that that may help to relax his muscles a bit? Or would that not work in his favor? Maybe there is some special balm (like for achy muscles) that you could rub on his legs before bead. Or maybe these things wouldn't help because it is more of a neurological thing. What about having him sleep in BabyLegs or something similar fitted to his legs? Would that help at all? Does Tylenol help?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tylenol sometimes works maybe. But if it's going to be bad, tylenol won't do a damn thing. I like the rice bag on the warming pad idea, that way I could have a couple warming next to me all the time. As it is now, we've both had to get up with him when he's really bad, and dh massages his legs and feet while I warm things up. It'd be nice to just roll over, switch out the rice bags, and go back to sleep. Thanks for the idea, I'm definitely going to try that!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts