Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are Muslim Mamas here. I'd like to "meet" you.

I'm second generation (my parents converted in the '60s), AA, Shia Itha Ashari, Muslimah.

I'm married, 5 kids, SAH, homeschooling.

I joined Mothering to learn more about nutrition, mainly. I have a neglected blog http://eatofthegood.blogspot.com/ about nutrition from an Islamic perspective.

Come on out of the woodwork! Don't be shy!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hiya Rose,
I am a Muslim (Sunni). Ours is a family that blends traditional and modern values. I do believe that several religious tenets are to be adapted with modernisation. I am bio-mom of two children - aged 43 months and 28 months and have discovered only very recently that I am pregnant again - due 10 Feb. 2007.

I am second wife of my husband and we three are happily living together. Allah has been kind to us. My co-wife has a daughter (38 months) and is also expecting (gone 16 weeks). Both of us are sharing household and mothering resposibilities, including breastfeeding. None of our children has so far weaned completely. Nice to find a Muslim Mom on this forum. Inshallah we shall interact more in days to come.
Uzra

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

I'm not a mom yet. Just started ttc.

Nice to meet you two!

Congratulations on the pregnancy Uzra.

Oh, I am from Bangladesh currently living in the US since 1998.

Noorjahan

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to meet you both! I was going to put Pro-polygyny in my post, but chickened out.
MashaAllah on the pregnancy, Uzra! And Alhamdulillah on your happy co-wife situation.
May Allah bless your ttc, Noorjahan

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warda_Rose
Nice to meet you both! I was going to put Pro-polygyny in my post, but chickened out.
I SO know what you mean!

Interestingly, I have experience in living in a polygamy marriage household situation (not myself though-I mean my hubby isn't into that) and it's very interesting needless to say.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barkatu, Rose and Noorjahan. Inshaallah, more Muslimahs shall join this thread. Thanks to both of you for wishing me well in my pregnancy; a long road is ahead. Thanks again, Rose for your good wishes in respect of co-wife. She is actually my elder cousin sister and as we have ahad a joint family, I do never fear any problems in dealing with her. Incidentally, even my current pregnancy is due to her strong insistence. You may start your originally planned thread on polygyny. I feel many others like me may have to contribute to it. I crave for more interaction with both of you, including PMs, if you wish.
Wasalaam.
Uzra

·
Registered
59 Posts
Salaams!!
I just joined mothering ...so happy to find muslim sisters!! I have two children sariah 3yrs and siraaj 7months. Im shia and my husband is sunni...we really think of ourselves as muslim(most important). im a SAHM also second generation (parents converted) was homeschooled and might homeschool....
so nice to meet you!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reverted to Islam more than a year an a half ago and I very much looking forward to Rammadan. I am American and My husband is from Pakistan. We have been married for more than 2 years. I searched for a long time to find a Muslim moms board. We Inshallah will be ttc in a few months and I would love if you all could give me some web sites to visit about fertility or anything you think i would benefit from. Thank you Salam

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi mama's,

I have a question about food after childbirth-

I am not a Muslima, but I just supported one in a VBAC last week. I am a birth doula, and I always visit my clients home to bring a lunch, a healthy tea and lots of time to talk about the birthing experience.

I cook Indian food with no problem, but I am a vegetarian. My client said no problem with vegetarian (since she wouldn't have to worry about meat being hallal).

I have so far prepared a mildly spicy tomato dal (split yellow), aloo with dania-sauce, and now I need some more advice. What other veggie would best to go along, which recipe. We will eat it with basmati rice. Answer as soon as you can. I go tomarrow.

Good luck to your Muslima Tribe!

Jyotsna

·
Registered
473 Posts
Salaam aleikum sisters... Just thought I bump this one...

I am a Norwegian revert, came to islam 13 yrs ago, alhamdulillah. Living in Norway, with my norwegian husband, we have one child together, and ttc one more...

I was previously married, and have an 8 yrs old girl and a 6,5 yrs old boy, who are half algerians.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Assalaamu alaikom wa rahamatulllah.

I'm 18, SAHM. My daughter is 6 months old and I've been married for two years. I'm a revert(shia, but I love all my Muslim sisters regardless of sect or fiqh etc). I'm Salvadorian-American and my Husband is Nigerian. We both live in Canada though.

Way to go co-wife Mama!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmetullahi wa barakatuh ladies!

I knew I'd find a thread sooner or later..

Another revert here and in the Midwest at that -

:
:
:
:
:

and now we party:
:

Ok, that might have been smiley overload, but I figured that conveys a lot of things quickly. It's nice to see sisters doing things AP style, masha-Allah.

Insha-Allah, this finds you in the best of Iman.

~um-Meryam

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Oh, I've been meaning to ask - what do you guys do with your kids during Salah?

Mine has been coming with me so far, either in a sling or in the bouncy seat but there are times when she cries so hard that I sometimes go back and repeat the salah when she's calm cause I can't remember whether I did it right. Al-hamudulillah it's only been a few times, she usually actually calms down both during Salah and when I read the Qur'an in the morning.

I'm certainly open to suggestions.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've totally neglected this thread!
First: Salaamun Alaykum! to all the sisters who posted.

Jyotsna, sorry I missed your post, although I wouldn't have been any help.

noorjahan, I'm American born and raised.

quietserena, I'm sorry I can't really help with the salaah-thing. I have older kids who can help watch the baby while I pray now. In the early days it was a struggle evey time to get my prayers in. I would sometime hold the baby and lay them down during sajdah, wait for a naptime, or if i was lucky wait till DH came home frome work. It's hard to focus with a crying baby, isn't it? Even if we know they are fine we are wired to respond to them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Salaam Alaikum everyone!

I'm American born and raised, and like most, from a culturally, ethnically, linguistically and religious(ly?) mixed background. We celebrate both Muslim and Christian holidays and traditions. Unfortunately, I spent years eschewing all religion, especially during my college years. The past several years I underwent some changes that brought me back to religious practice, which ultimately led me to DH and now our wonderful DD.

In my younger days I only wore hijab occasionally, especially at tradtional events, weddings and so on. However, a couple years ago when I was teaching, one of my students asked why I didn't wear hijab, and wasn't I supposed to -- which started me to thinking about it. Next, after DH had a heart attack when I was 3.5 months along (we're over 40 first-time parents), I swore that if he were OK, I would wear hijab. Finally, when I found out I was having a girl, I became adamant about setting a good example. My grandmother covered full-time, but no one in my dad's or my generation has -- now I'm the only one. I also try to eat mostly Halal meat, and choose vegetarian options when it's not available, but sometimes I just have to grab a quick meal away from home or any halal restaurants...

As for Salah, I haven't made it since DD has been born, since I nurse on demand and babies really have their own schedules. I'll go back in a month or so because she is sleeping longer, napping better, and nursing a bit less often. In the interim, I cooked and baked on a couple occasions for about 80 people at Masjid, which DH took; have made extra zakat, and listen to Quran readings. I also tease DH that he's "praying for two" now (like when I was "eating for two", lol).

Anyway, there's quite a bit about me

·
Registered
135 Posts
Assalaamu alaikom

Nice to see so many of yall!

My daughter is 6 1/2 months old and she just sits quietly and watches DH and I. She's really good at it. She rarely cries and if she does, one of us picks her up and she stops. When she was younger like newborn to 2 months old we had to carry her or set her down w/ a mobile or something. She didn't like to be in the sling moving up and down though. From about 2-4 months she'd lay down with a toy beside us while we prayed. Then as soon as she could sit up w/ a boppy we'd sit her up and now she sits on her own.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Assalamu alaikum!
Well, salah has gotten better - I've been focusing more on timing things better, so that when she's awake that she's just been nursed and changed. Especially dhuhr, there are many rakah there by the time I do all the sunnah, so unless she's content she really can't wait all the way through. I've also held her during the salah, and she seems to enjoy the recitation and the change in position. Subhana-Allah, sometimes she'll be getting fussy and when I make it to sujood she immediately calms down. Being closest to the Creator, indeed!

I ended up not fasting most of the month of Ramadan since it was still in my 40 days of nifas. I only fasted 5! So, I'm gearing up to fast some days now since the days are so short and iftar comes quickly. Fasting by myself is going to be kind of lonesome.

ReuseCrafter:
I don't know where you are sister, but I wish I could come and hold your kiddo so you're not missing salah.

May Allah swt keep all of your and your families safe.

~serena

·
Registered
380 Posts
Assalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barkatu. Sisiters,

I am visiting this thread with quite a gap and therefore could not welcome sisters who contributed to it subsequent to my earlier posts. Belatedly, welcome to all of you. Wanda Rose would be very happy that her thread has blossomed. We can indeed interact more.

Noorjahan, I am from India where King Shahjahan had built the Taj Mahal in memory of his qeen Mumtajmahal. We look forward to the details of your exoerience in interacting with a family where polygamy was in vogue. You see, I am in the same situation and would love to hear similar other experiences of happy living, Inshaallah.

Wish you happy parenting, Imani.

Sister 79, you might benefit by visiting Yahoo Groups that go by the names 'muslimahbreastfeedingsupport' and 'Hamil'.

Jyotsana, though you are not a Muslimah, your interest in their welfare is welcome . Please do share with us your experiences with the Muslim clients. Do you help them only in birthing and postpartum recovery or are required to breastfeed their babies at times also?

ReverseCrafter, UmmZahra and Nabie, your experiences must be quite rich. Please do find to share some of them with us. You see I would love that this thread becomes more vibrant, not just a roll call type.

On Salah, Muslimahs who do not have others to take care of their infants while they pray, might be advised to try some experimentation. I am sure that if the baby is fed little while ago and some colourful toys are placed near him to share his attention, he / she might not disturb the mother.

Wa salaam.
Uzra

1 - 20 of 58 Posts