Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flyer in the mail today about Muzzy, the kids video program that teaches kids to speak another language. Does anyone have experience with this? Did it work? I took 5 years of French in high school and would love for DD to learn earlier.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We have Muzzy french (got the VHS version on ebay for really cheap) and it seems a bit old for DS still. We don't watch that much TV anyhow, but just the little we've watched of Muzzy so far seems a little beyond him thematically (kings, princesses, a bad guy, etc). DS is taking French (mom & me) classes once a week and I wanted to supplement with the videos. I think in a year or so it will be great since I've heard such great things about it. We also have "Bonjour les amis" that he likes a lot but it includes more English than I'd like...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
my mom got it for DD#1 against my wishes. children cannot learn a language from a video/DVD. my DH is multi-lingual and I am bi-lingual (thr muzzy was a language we don`t speak...) DD did not use any of the words introduced. she has learned new words in languages we speak from TV/DVD, and sign language.<br>
way overpriced, not esp. engaging graphics or songs.<br>
I vote NO<br>
hth,<br>
nakking Kathryn

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
I wouldn't do it. As the pp said, children learn language through INTERACTION. yes, they can learn to parrot a few words in a foreign language, but it's not really learning the language.<br><br>
If you want her to learn French, find a playgroup of French speaking kids/parents, talk to her in French for a bit of the day, or read French stories. It'll be more effective and a heck of a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got it, and my kids hate it. HATE it. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish (or any second language) very well....anyway, I am sending Muzzy back. = )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts