Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am relatively new around here, both to the forums and to Southern Illinois. DH and I have lived here a little less than two years after living in TX for 4 yrs. We recently began our TTC journey, and I would really like to find a good midwife in our area, Marion/Carbondale, to be specific. I know that DEMs are not "legal" in Illinois, so this is difficult. I have joined the Illinois Families for Midwives group on Yahoo, and I will ask around there as well. I am very interested in homebirth, but at the same time, I am not totally opposed to having a hospital birth as long as the hospital is really natural birth friendly. Does anyone know of any really good midwives or natural-birth friendly OB's/hospitals in this area?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,460 Posts
I live in your area and can tell you a few things....

There really aren't truly 'natural friendly' medical birth providers in the region. There are a few who aren't as bad as the others....there are even some CNMs who practice out of HEartland Med Ctr in Marion....but nowhere, and with no provider is natural birth really respected or even understood. Besides, even if you went to one of the more respectful docs, there is no guarantee s/he will be oncall the day you labor. You will get 'whomever', and they are not necessarily going to follow your birth plan. The CNMs are pretty much restricted.

I suppose it depends on your expectations, and on your personal definition of natural. THe 'most natural friendly' OB STILL insists that every woman labor with an IV in place, no exceptions. He is known to tell people who argue--'if you want a homebirth, have a homebirth, I don't believe birth is really safe without an IV in place.'

There are a couple of DEMs who serve the region. To find them, I would try looking up Friends of Missouri Midwives (FOMM), as they both also practice in MO, and FOMM helps connect families to mws near them.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, MsBlack...that's kind of what I was afraid of... It's really disappointing to hear, though. I will look into FOMM, and I will ask around on the ILFAMFORMW group as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any more information or contacts.

· Registered
338 Posts
I have a CNM out of Peoria who is attending a homebirth for me in Sept.

From what she's told me CNM are the ones who do homebirths although i guess you can find some lay mw who are illegal. They do take some insurance but not medicaid (at least not mine) and they'll usually willing to travel if you are ok with that. I'm not interested in going to a hospital unless absolutely necessary. I don't find that they are NCB friendly at all. (at least none i've seen even though the claim to be) i would search for a list of CNM in IL and start emailing them (starting with the closest ones) to see if they would do a homebirth. if no one can then just look for a CNM out of your local hospital.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I just got a BFP this morning!

So, now this search for midwife in my area has become a bit more immediate! Any more iformation, ideas, contacts, etc. would be very, very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.