Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the fridge... and saying, "whats this?" I say, "its a B, B says buh" (well the b sound.. how do you write that? And he repeats it. And brings me another letter... He is VERY interested in those letters. And he is retaining the information. He can now pick up some of them and tell ME what they are. Could this be a sign of giftedness? Or is it just normal toddler interest. (he is my only one.....)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I don't know but that sounds like a fun game. I need to get some of those letters for my 17 MO!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My DD starting doing this after her first birthday. She would point out letters in everything, books, magazines, signs, etc. and by 14 months she knew all her upper and lower case letters.<br><br>
I don't know if it's a sign of giftedness or not. I just went with the flow and went with whatever she wanted to know about. She moved on to numbers shortly after her letter fascination and now she can count. If your daughter likes letters then she probably will want to be read too all the time. That's what my daughter was like at a young age.<br><br>
You might want to read Deborah Ruf's book, Losing Our Minds, which has a great description of different levels of giftedness and gives summaries of different parent experiences with their children at the baby and toddler stage and on up for each level of giftedness. <a href="http://www.educationaloptions.com/levels_giftedness.htm" target="_blank">http://www.educationaloptions.com/levels_giftedness.htm</a><br><br>
As our DD has grown into a toddler we've had some surprises in her development and with advanced development you can't always talk to your friends without seeming like you are bragging even though you really are just worn out and have questions about how to deal with challenges. Ruf's book and website were comforting for us. Maybe it would interest you to see what you might be in store for in the near future. Every child is different so who knows? Just my two cents.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My DD started doing that about the same time by pointing to letters in books. I just followed her lead and now she knows all of the letters and numbers and DS knows lots of them too. I don't know if it is a sign of anything. I took it as a sign of curiosity and that is a good thing and my book.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
My daughter did this, too, around a year old. Now, at three, she is obsessed with PUNCTUATION in her books...quotation marks especially! I don't know that the interest itself is a sign of giftedness. I think it is natural for children to explore and question that which is in their environment, so if you've got letters around she will eventually be interested. Nonetheless, nurture that interest and see where it goes! Fun stuff.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My DD has always loved letters and numbers and was very interested in them at that age, too. If your son 'uses' the computer with you, you may want to check out Starfall.com; it's a hit in my house.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
DS started being fascinated with letters around 10 - 12 mos, and quickly learned to identify the entire alphabet, then moved on to numbers. Though he can't actually read (he's now 27 mos) he will spell out all the store signs in the mall and loves grocery shopping so he can look at all the packages (and pick which aisles he wants to go up and down depending what number the aisle is -- i.e. he doesn't like 1, but he likes numbers 2, 5 and 8).<br>
It's great to encourage that curiosity! (Though it's definitely exhausting reading umpteen books a day.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts