Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my dd kicked me really really hard in the lower abdomen (and I'm pregnant) and I seriously thought I was going to smack her! I ended up getting off the bed, (where I was trying to rest) and slamming the door. I never ever usually have these kind of outbursts either, I think it's probably hormone's from the pregnancy. This was after repeatedly asking her not to kick me and moving her to the floor several times after getting kicked. She kept saying "Mommy, I'm NOT going to kick you." So I would let her back on the bed, and then she would kick me again.
I get SO mad when she does these things (not an emotion that I usually feel so strongly. I'm not generally a quick to anger person). Today she has also bitten me (hard) and squeezed and twisted my right breast so hard it brought tears to my eyes (I again suppressed the urge to smack her)
The most infuriating thing is that she smiles when I freak out! I usually just say in "That HURTS your mommy!! Don't kick (bite, grab...) me!!" while she grins away at me.
Where is the pulling my hair out smiley?
What should I do to deal with her behavior as well as my own anger?
help!

· Registered
230 Posts
Very sorry for your situation. I have a 2 year old boy and he has become very physically aggressive lately as well. Many children this young- while they may understand a tiny bit that it hurts others to hit/kick/bite- really don't fully understand what it means to inflict pain. My son laughs a lot when he hurts someone and I really think he believes it's funny- and it's not coming from an evil place. He just enjoys getting a reaction out of anyone that will react to him. Try your best to react minimally to her kicks and such, and try to help her see it from your side. Asking her if it would hurt if someone kicked her and if she would like that or if it would make her sad- and trying to help her see that she really is hurting you- and not just making you make noise and react to her. It will probably take time, but just be consistent in letting her know that it's not acceptable to hurt people and that she is hurting you- but sad to say 2 year olds are not always the fastest learners! Probably in a short time she will begin to realize that she is hurting you and will not want to continue to do so.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
What worked with my son when he started doing the same thing (around 18months, while I was pregnant) was to just get up and walk away. I needed to get behind some kind of barrier or he'd just follow me and do it again- I'd step over a baby gate into our computer room and sit right by the door so he could see me. He improved quickly and stopped eventually, and more importantly I had space to calm myself down.

The mama bear hormones just would overwhelm me with anger when he would hurt me while I was pregnant...and I am usually an angry person to begin with.

· Registered
4,441 Posts
I agree with just walking away. She obviously knows you don't like it. So, why should you treat her any better than an adult who was hurting you. Walk away before you get that mad. If you wait too long, your (normal) anger will take over.

You are not responsible for making her comfey and happy JUST so she can hurt you. You deserve to be treated better than that.

If she is just being wild and silly, and accidentally hurts you, that's something different. But, I am imagining her laying back on the bed and just going at you with her feet. That isn't O.K, and she can easily learn that you won't be purposely hurt by her.

She's still a little young for empathy, so don't take it personally. She can't know HOW it feels, she just knows she is getting a reaction out of you. Maybe she's feeling a little frustrated too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.