Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old daughter is obsessed with laying on an end table and balancing on her stomach on the edge of it. She will do it all day off and on! Anyway she will do it for long periods of time, at least it seems, maybe like 10 minutes or more randomly throughout day. Is this normal? I am just worried its something wrong with her stomach. lol Help me out moms! My husband says it is nothing but I just wonder why she keeps doing it A Lot!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My dd is a big climber, and she does that too. She doesn't do it quite as much now as she used to, but she still does it when she's climbing around. She usually does it on the arm of the couch. I think she is just practicing balancing. I was a gymnast, and it is actually an often-used position in gymnastics on the uneven parallel bars, to balance with your hips on the bar in preparation for a move. I don't find it strange at all, I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's kinda like a gymnast balancing on a bar! I didn't think it was weird at first but she is doing it a lot! So of course i am a worrier and wondering what in the world! Mine also does it on the arm of the couch. She just holds her self there forever! She will go missing and we will find her "balancing". LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 18mo DS does this all the time, with a daredevil twist - we have a packnplay in our family room for when an adult needs to quickly leave the room and doesn't want to leave him unattended (like a bathroom run). It is next to a chair. DS will climb the chair, back himself over the edge, so his legs are dangling way above the floor inside the packnplay, and hang there just like your DD (then he will drop in and cry because he realizes he can't get out!).<br><br>
I think they are experimenting with their bodies, balance, and what they can achieve with their gross motor skills.<br><br>
My mom freaks when she sees DS acting like a stuntboy, but I'm happy to have a kid who is learning the abilities and limits of his body in connection with gravity and spatial relations!<br><br>
Jane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts