Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*please don't move to working mama's area.

I recently started working as a nurse and work 2 nights a week. DD has always nursed to sleep and we are a co-sleeping family. She is almost 29 months old. I leave at 6:30pm and am gone till 8am, Sat and Sun nights. DD is home with hubby and on Sunday nights a friend watches her at our house because DH leaves at 4am for work.

It has been 5 weeks now and DD isn't adjusting. She just won't go to sleep. She isn't grumpy, just happily plays and runs around till 2, sometimes 3 am and then wakes between 5:30am and 8 am. She does this with both hubby and my friend.

DH thinks that it is because she is up late during the week, she is usually in bed by 10 or 10:30pm during the week. She nurses to sleep always and nurses anywhere from 0-2 times a night. I think she just doesn't realize that mama isn't coming back till the morning.

Any suggestions (besides working day shift)? I don't really want to night wean her, because I am home 5 nights a week. But, open to some help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I know many night shift nurses and one stands out as having many of her children on her schedule esp. her cosleeping youngest who is 6. The whole family is a bunch of night owls that go to bed at 2 am on a normal night. You could just try to make sure she has opportunities to nap those days and gets plenty of sleep the next few days and not worry about it, or

since she relies on you for her typical go to bed routine, perhaps you could start incorporating a couple of daddy nights where dh helps her go to sleep. That way she would have a different routine depending on who is helping her go to bed. I started doing this early on, ds does not nurse to sleep but I nurse him before bed and then I do the night-time stuff to help him sleep, with dh he gets a bottle and goes to sleep fine for him too.

Now this isn't to say those daddy nights achieve a perfect bedtime or a great night's sleep. Usually after I worked all night ds would be extra tired and take a good long morning nap with me when I got home.

I would like to see if anyone else has had this happen and how they handled it.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
What about being very firm (in a kind way) that it's bed time. Turning out ALL of the lights in the house and have who ever is watching her lay down with her until she falls asleep. A pitch dark house isn't much fun to run around and play in.

-Heather

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GatorNNP,

I wouldn't mind her being on that schedule, but it won't work for DH. He goes to bed typically by 8-9pm and is up at 4am, earlier in the summer. He is also so not a night person. I think your ideas for getting a bedtime routine that includes daddy will help. Will have to try that for a couple of weeks.

moondiapers,

Both my DH and my friend have tried that and she just sobs and starts saying "light, light, mama, mama" and then they give in. Both hate the idea of her sobbing and I do, too. I know they are right there, but I just worry about scarring her for life that way. I know it probably wouldn't, but I don't know. I can almost always get her to sleep by just nursing her with the lights off, but she doesn't take a bottle and won't do that for them since they have no breast for her. LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.