Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying that she is tall and skinny and it runs in the family. She has never been a big eater-I just always told myself, no pressure about food, kids eat when they are hungry. I just offer healthy things.

But in the last month, she seems like she is eating less than usual. No scale to weigh her but I am thinking about taking her for a check up.

Today for example
4 mini waffles-whole grain Orange juice
some veggie booty and small piece of apple
fruit leather
no lunch-didn't want any at all
a cheese stick
Glass of rice milk
many raw baby carrots and a slice of corn bread for dinner
chocolate milk and a singe Xmas cookie (not healthy)
would not eat a snack before bed.

Skipping lunch or dinner is a regular occurance. I try to only offer healthy options but getting her to eat anything other than crackers is becoming impossible.

She is becoming more and more picky-close to impossible to feed.

Does this sound odd or like something is wrong or just a phase?

Btw-she is happy (usually), healthy except for a bunch of colds, and active. We get a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I suspect she's in a "growth plateau" and needs less food right now. Your job is to OFFER healthy foods, her job is to actually eat them. She'll eat more when she needs to.

BTW, I think offering 1 glass of choco milk and 1 cookie is reasonable considering the rest of the stuff she ate today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My ds just turned four and your typical food day sounded fairly normal from what I have read. I gather you are supposed to look at food patterns for about a week at a time since little kids can go without eating for a day or two. I notice that my ds is having too much fun to eat sometimes. I try really hard to sit down to a family dinner and I do a lot of play acting with food....talking about how much dinosaurs eat...challenging him to eat as many spoons as I eat....etc. I come from a food loving culture, so its weird to me that ds and dh are too distracted to eat sometimes. I figure that it's my problem more than theirs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when your child is going through a picky time, do you try and cook foods that he/she likes or just cook as usual and hope that she eats? Right now she would eat nothing but pasta and crackers if I let her. I buy whole wheat or brown rice products but still?
We are also wean off dairy bc I am convinced that she is lactose intolerant. She really wants milk and doesn't love the alternatives. I hate denying her the calories that it provides.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It is normal for children to go through changes in their eating habits, just like any other person. Perhaps you can evaluate her eating habits over an entire week rather than just one day to see that she is eating a wide variety of healthy foods, or not.

For reference, here is the a summary of the recommended meal patterns for 3 yos(from the USDA child care food program). I've listed the TOTAL MINIMUM amount of food to be offered throughout the day including breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
1 1/4 c milk
1 1/2 c fruit, veggies, and/or juice
1 1/2 slice of bread or 3/4 c cooked pasta/grains
2 servings of meat/meat alternatives: 1 serving is 1 1/2 oz meat/poultry, 1 1/2 oz cheese, 3/4 egg, 3/4 c yogurt, 3/8 c beans, 3 tbsp peanut butter.

It is also recommended that children eat at least one additional snack, which can include one smaller serving from 2 of the food groups(milk, fruit/veggies, grains/breads, and meat/meat alternatives).

You can use these recommendations as a guide to compare your child's intake. From what you listed, you are already offering very healthy food choices, which is great. To establish healthy eating patterns, it is recommended that parents be in charge of what is offered and when, while the child chooses how much.

HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.