Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I feel like I am the only one who has an almost 3 year old (she has been this way her whole life) who LOVES to eat. We eat almost all organic foods. We do eat meat, mostly organic chicken and wild salmon once a week. We eat almost all whole grains (rice, quinoa, etc..). Lots of vegetables, not a lot of dairy except for a lot of yogurt and plenty of fruits and vegetables.
My problem is she does not seem to be able to control herself. She will eat anytime anywhere if it is available. She eats a lot and although she is active she is not a very active kid. She is in the top percentile for her height and weight.
Food is an important part of our lives. We stress eating together as a family and all of us do love food, I just want her to be able to self regulate and eat when she is hungry and not just because there is food in front of her.
My concern is that I am bringing too much attention to eating and the last thing I want to do is create eating issues in a 3 year old!!
Noone seems to really be able to help me. I think some of how you choose to handle it comes down to their individual personality and how they respond to certain feedback.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
It seems like all her friend's mothers will do anything to get their kids to eat and they love offering my daughter food because they know she will accept it!
Am I overreacting?
Help!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Having been someone who struggled with bulimia/anorexia, I'd say that the only way to create a child that has an eating disorder is to focus attention on her eating, her size/feminitity/weight/ etc..... the other way would be if she ate lots of highly refined foods and sugars, which would give her weight problems later in life if not as a child.

but since it sounds like you eat well, I'd say, let it be. Don't focus on it, let her eat. If she's eating healthy things, then perhaps she'll just grow to be 6'2" or something!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I think your daughter is being taught that food is an important part of life---that IS true, is it not? :LOL I'm a foodie myself, I admit it. I love trying to fill our lives full of healthy & organic produce...

I don't see anything wrong with getting excited about good food. My son felt so special b/c I cooked him a big lasagna (I left out telling him there was about a pound of grated zucchini in it), it's his favorite.

I think the problems come in when the foods we teach our children to love are hydrogenated, refined, poison non-foods like fast foods & such. It sounds like you don't do too much meat, and focus on veggies. That's where weight issues come in, or when you say as the pp noted, stuff like "don't eat that you'll get fat" or comments that lead children to feel insecure if they don't look a certain way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.