Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds has no specific dx, but attends special education preschool on account of his speech and fine motor delays last year. I suspect ADHD (in both my kids). Can anyone help me get through to my son?
He cannot reason. When he talks he says things that aren't correct or make no sense at all. Then when big sisters tries to help correct him he screams and rages at her Noooo! And insists he is right. It's this way with all things, most of the time.
If he says the sky is red and tell him no it's blue, he gets very upset and insists it IS red. I don't understand if this is something other than sheer contrariness/stubborness or something else.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't speak very much until after age 3. He could hardly put together two words at 3. But he is doing better now, like he saved it all up and now he's never quiet!
He'll say things like "I did --- and ---- last year" and it was really yesterday. So, I'll explain to him what yesterday means and he'll still insist it was last year. I think he just likes to hear himself talk. I know time is a hard concept for 4 year olds.
I suspect ADHD because he is very rowdy, probably normally so, but somethings stand out, like the excessive climbing (starting at 12 mos. when he climbed up the ladder of our dd's bunkbed
:
It never stopped. The climbing is dangerous and he does not seem to comprehend the consequences. For example, we have a granite island in our kitchen that is long and two levels. He has been able to climb on it since we moved in (age 2) and we haven't been able to keep him off of it. When others see how he just scales stuff like Spiderman they act so shocked like how could I let him do that or how he is able to do that. Well, we've tried and now it's so normal to us to let him just do it (since nothing ever worked to stop him).
he also talks or makes noises excessively. He is destructive and is getting smarter. The other day he had a Phillips screwdriver and was upstairs taking his door off the hinge!! He had all but 2 screws out by the time I found him!! He also took the roll bars off his Jeep and has tried to dismantle many other things. He's bright and curious. But, as far as discipline goes...well, nothing works for him.
My MIL once told me (and she is 60) ds was 'the' most active child she has ever known.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Many of the symptoms of autism and ADHD overlap, so the climbing, speech issues, unresponsiveness to discipline, etc would indicate an eval. I really think you need to know exactly what you are dealing w/ (hence the need for the eval) to truly be able to give him the help he needs.
:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Kelli, I just realized my post was really not very helpful. I'm sorry

Have you tried any dietary interventions at all? My almost 6 yo still climbs the cupboard and climbs up on the counters.
: He doesn't "get it" either. Can you give him safe things to climb? Maybe saying to him "wow, you really love to climb! Let's find something that is safe to climb. Climbing on the counters is not safe and I am afraid you will get hurt and cry" and then make an obstacle course around the house (climb under the dining room table, over 2 chairs, around the couch, over the coffee table).

It's hard, esp when ppl who don't "get it" pass judgement.

Anyway, sorry I didn't offer anything helpful earlier. I don't know why I did that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My 4 yo attends a special education preschool for his SID and behavior issues and he sounds a lot like your ds. All of my kids climb onto the counters and get into the cabinets even my 21 month old does this.
: I really don't know what to do about it.
I thought all kids do this. My 4 yo was a climber at 12 months and has never stopped. Sorry I'm not much help, but I can relate.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are some definite similarities to what you're saying about your DS and my DS. The stubbornness, contrariness, anger, etc. are Drew to a T. He's begging me to teach him how to use matches when he hits 5.
: I took him into my holistic practioner today and she suggested ADHD/ADD. She also suggested eliminating all sugar and seeing if that has any effect on his behavior. If not, then go a little more extreme and try the GFCF diet (I think that's the acronym). She also suggested 5 minutes daily of making 8s with his arms to help the two hemispheres of the brain connect.

Not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Elizabeth

·
Registered
678 Posts
My 9 year old DD was just like your son at 4. She does have ADHD which makes it harder for her to reason clearly (although it has gotten a lot better!), but my DD also has dyslexia. Apparently the reason for her speech delay and her inability to speak correctly/ read at grade level/ tell time on a clock are all due to the language disorder of dyslexia. The implusivity comes from the ADHD... A very tough combination!!

Also, my DD has sensory issues too, but does not have Asperger's. She does quite well socially, all things considered, and has never had an obsession.

We have tried OT, vision therapy, theraplay. We have eliminated all sugar, artificial colors and flavors, processed foods. We do flaxseed oil and vimanins. All these things have helped. Now we are working on getting her a dyslexia tutor.

HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.