Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a 4 month old im nursing and my 5 year old boy almost six has become really interested in wanting to try breast milk i have pumped some and gave it to him but he really want to try it right from the tap I think he wants to know what its like because he sees his siater eat all the time, what would you do?? Im weireded out by lettting him taste it right from the tap but i was just curiuos what you girls would do, everytime he askes I tell him i can pump him some if he wants it ,but my breasts are for babies

dont mind all my typos and trying to hold my sleeping baby on my shoulder

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I think, if you were comfortable with it, let him try, I think that he would be quickly uninterested, considering that you have to shut up long enough to eat,
which none of my kids could EVER do
or just the fact he might find it boring. But if he is the clingy type you might have a second feeder, I dunno?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I understand you might feel odd about it. I also have a 5 year odl I could not IMAGINE nursing as he was weraned so young but then I know plenty of moms who nurse kids taht age. Its what you are used to. I would let him try it if he wanted to. He woudl probably find it too much work to bother with and lose interest. My 3 year old is like that, he will ask to nurse when he is sick or clingy but never does more than a coupel sucks. Its more just the reassurance he can still have it, ya know?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Interesting issue. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation, to be honest. Try to find out exactly why he wants to nurse. Is he missing that closeness (in which case, maybe you could make some special time for just the two of you if you don't want him to nurse) or perhaps he's very curius about baby things (next, maybe he'll ask to try on a diaper or want to be carried around while you make dinner or revert to not using his words) which could be curiosity or a need for more attention (I'm not a psychologist or anything, this is just a guess). If you're not wanting to nurse him, try doing special activities with him that only he can do (play ball, color, etc).

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did he wean?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My Mom tells the story of how each of her toddlers (after watching the newest baby nurse) asked for booby. She felt strongly that it was simply a need to know that what was once their's (the toddler's) still was even though they didn't really need it. She tells me that I would ask for boody after my brother was born. She would say, "OK" and wait for me to come get it. She tells me that I just sort of smirked/giggled and walked off. She believes I (and her other children) really just wanted to know that it was there if we wanted it and that she still belonged to us.

With all that said, I plan to allow any of my children to try to nurse after the newest baby is born (right now I only have one and preggie). I will probably be surprised if the older child actually latches properly... and if they actually try, but it hurts, I will communicate that to them as well.

That's what I think, anyway.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It sounds to me too that he just wants to be allowed to do it. I know I seem to want things more when I can't have them. Maybe he'll loose interest if you let him try it. I think I'd let him try it and see where it went from there.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I would probably just remain casual and say, Sure, give it a try. My three and a half year old is in the process of self-weaning and cannot latch anymore, but about every three or four weeks he asks to nurse and gives it a try, can't do much with it and quits & just cuddles instead. He just wants to know he still "nurses" if he wants to. No biggie. I think if he wanted to try again after a sibling's birth, it would go about like that.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom
Interesting issue. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation, to be honest. Try to find out exactly why he wants to nurse. Is he missing that closeness (in which case, maybe you could make some special time for just the two of you if you don't want him to nurse) or perhaps he's very curius about baby things (next, maybe he'll ask to try on a diaper or want to be carried around while you make dinner or revert to not using his words) which could be curiosity or a need for more attention (I'm not a psychologist or anything, this is just a guess). If you're not wanting to nurse him, try doing special activities with him that only he can do (play ball, color, etc).

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did he wean?
I hope i do this quote thing right, he was weaning at 1 month because he was having latch problem and I was to young to know whAT a lactation consultant was. (so sad) I wish I knew more about breast feeding then or knew someone to give me info, i know find it a personal obligatin of mine to help young misinformed people breastfeed

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've done it. When dd2 was born, dd1 was 3 yrs old and wanted to try it. (She stopped nursing over a year before). I said ok and she basically put her mouth on my nipple and then didn't know what to do and then stopped and never asked again. I really think she just wanted to know that anything for the baby wasn't completely off limits to her. She also tried to sit in the infant car seat, and later the exersaucer.

But it is your body, and if it makes you really uncomfortable, I would just tell your son that when he was a baby you breastfed him and now he drinks from a cup and it is his sibling's turn to breastfeed.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Honestly, he probably won't know how to latch on and will get bored really quickly when nothing happens. Even if he does get some milk he will more than likely find it a pretty boring thing to do. I don't have a five year old (yet!) but I would let him do it.

I remember asking to nurse several times. My mom always said yes, but I always felt silly and never tried it (and I was formula fed!!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.