Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is only in 1st grade! I can not believe this is starting already.
:
There is one little girl (the "popular" girl) in her class that wears makeup and jewelry to school everyday. She is 7 years old! My DD says she wants to be like her

I was expecting this in middle school, not early elementary.
:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
She is only in 1st grade! I can not believe this is starting already.
:
There is one little girl (the "popular" girl) in her class that wears makeup and jewelry to school everyday. She is 7 years old! My DD says she wants to be like her

I was expecting this in middle school, not early elementary.
:
You'll have this not only with makeup, but with xxx and yyy and this car and that toy and all the premium cable channels and parents letting their friends drink and do drugs and...you get my point.

Take your stance now that you understand that other parents allow their children to do x and y. You don't allow it in your house. "That's (Sam's) parents' rules. Not ours." The name inserted in there changed regularly, but the grass was always greener on the other side when we were growing up.

And we NEVER liked it when our parents said no. But I'm glad they did.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My dd went thru that stage for a hot minute. I just emphasized that she is her own person and it doesn't matter what others think. I think it started w/a little girl in her 2nd grade class, but that particular girl, she doesn't see too much anymore. And towards the end of the school year she said the little girl got on her nerves anyways. My dd likes everyone and plays w/everyone, she realized early that it's not nice to exclude people "just because". She's the kind of kid that wants everyone to get along. She is however, getting more into her appearance (although she still HATES) taking a bath. But that is a whole other thread.

Anyways, like you, I was surprised how kids talked popularity at such a young age, but usually it is one or two that gets it started. I'm just glad my dd steered away from the little girl in her class.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post
You'll have this not only with makeup, but with xxx and yyy and this car and that toy and all the premium cable channels and parents letting their friends drink and do drugs and...you get my point.

Take your stance now that you understand that other parents allow their children to do x and y. You don't allow it in your house. "That's (Sam's) parents' rules. Not ours." The name inserted in there changed regularly, but the grass was always greener on the other side when we were growing up.

And we NEVER liked it when our parents said no. But I'm glad they did.

Yup.. We live in apartments so when ever my DD goes outside to play shes if very likely to run into a gammet of other kids and there influences I have to allow her to witness things (with in reason of course) that are not allowed here with her but are with the "neighbors" children of the same age. Soo we have been through the wearing make up at age 4 or the bratz dolls at age 3 or so and so who doesn't have to sit down to dinner with there parents or the twins in apt 12b whom don't have to go to church ect.. SHEs learned that A mom allows sponge bob but hers won't or J dad who allows then to eat gummy snacks which wont be bought by her own mommy. ect.. I'm sure eac parent could think of something we allow that they don't we allow unlimited TV time (but limit content) we allow our chid to run outside to play in the water when the sprinklers come on, we allow our child to wear her "fancy" dresses to go outside and play tag ect. This is parenting 101

Deanna

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
My dh's family is not American, and all of the little girls in his family wear tons of gold jewlery, so I would be **very** careful about lambasting that sort of thing as cheap. It may well be cultural and even then, the whole horror around jewlery is odd. How on earth is jewlery a big deal?

I am also thinking that if I was not hsing, I would be getting some chapstick with shimmer for the winter.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Oh, I thought of something that could help. I don't know.

Invite the child to your home for a playdate. She's probably a lot more than earrings and lip gloss. Sometimes our children are drawn to children who are outgoing and playful. Sometimes kids, as we adults do, admire traits that transcend certain outer elements.

Your dd may like her personality, her spark, which seems to enhance her earrings or Bonnie Bell. I am not saying this kid isn't in full makeup, but maybe i's not more than some gold studs from Grannie, & some winter citrus winter lip protection?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not bonnie bell... it's adult lipstick, large loop earrings, blue eyeshadow... adult like clothing (the mother had to take clothing to school for her DD to change into because what she was wearing violated the dress code). She looks like a real life bratz doll. I have met the child, she is rude and treats the other kids horribly. Some days my DD is "cool" enough to be her "friend", other days she comes home saying K. isn't her friend anymore because she isn't "popular".

There is no way I would ever allow my daughter to go to her house, and I do not want this child in mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.