Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p> So I have been noticing lately that my abs (or at least I think that's what it is lol!) feel really very sore. Almost constantly. I am thinking that maybe I have that (sorry can't think of the name) thing where the recti abdominis muscles separate, but I don't know, I didn't have that in my first pregnancy. Maybe it is from holding and lifting DS. I try not to too much, but have been holding and lifting him some. But I would think the soreness would go away if that was it. Anyone else feel this? If I do have the separating abdominal muscles what can I do about it? Just wait til after the birth and exercise them back into shape?</p>

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
<p>If your muscles are separating (and I think the word you're looking for is diastasis) you should wait until you're at least 6 weeks postpartum before you try to do anything about it. I was told very emphatically by my midwife and doula not to start too early and it was hard. I felt like I was ready to do at least a little bit of exercise but I'm glad I waited, because I still found myself getting worn out and sore from simple errands and housework. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>When you are ready to start doing the exercise, you simply tighten your abdominal muscles as if you're trying to pull your belly button back towards your tailbone/spine. Hold for 5-10 seconds, release for 5-10 seconds, repeat. It helped me a lot. You can check the gap between your muscles by laying on your back and doing a partial sit-up; if you put your fingers on your abdomen a little below your rib cage, you can usually feel the gap and measure it in finger-widths. Mine was about 4 fingers wide and I got it down to 1 before getting pregnant again (my pregnancies are pretty closely spaced, I don't know if I could have closed the diastasis completely with this exercise).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for your current problem, I really don't know! I haven't experienced any actual pain with diastasis but I'd think that if you're lifting your son a lot, it could be causing a pain like that, especially if you're doing it on a daily basis. I hope you can find some relief!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts