Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pregnant, miserably sick, battling serious back pain and suffering from sleep deprivation so please excuse me if I start to ramble.

My son is having the most difficult time sleeping. I think he may be getting over a minor cold, but still can't rationalize the hard time he's having with sleep. He wakes up about an hour or so after I nurse him to sleep and lay him in our bed (we cosleep). Shortly after he goes back to sleep, he starts thrashing and writhing around in the bed...he kicks me in the face, lays across my entire pillow, mumbles things, whimpers, laughs, and incessantly picks at me...he rubs my face, tries to pull my eyelashes out, puts his hands in my mouth, rubs my breasts, rubs my belly...his hands just wander and wander and drive my crazy. At some point I generally ask that he not "pick" at me and instead, restrict his fondling to my arm. This goes on for about an hour or more...he's not asleep but not completely awake either.

He usually falls in and out of sleep a lot during that time...but if I so much as sniffle, roll over or adjust my pillow, he starts the whole process over again.

I'm going out of my mind. I haven't slept in a week. This lasts for hours and hours and leaves both of us so grumpy in the morning. I feel like a prisoner in my bed...I contort myself into whatever position he finds comfortable and then I freeze in fear that the slightest twitch will wake him again. I don't think this is an issue with sleep sharing since he wakes before my husband and I are even in the bed with him, and when I leave the room (to use the bathroom) he wails for me and begs dh to take him to wherever I am. As my supply has dwindled, nursing doesn't seem to lull him back to sleep anymore. I've tried EVERYTHING...rocking him, singing to him, soothing him, nursing him, etc...

I'm on the verge of losing my mind. PLEASE give me some new ideas. I'm completely at a loss.

(Nothing has changed to warrant such a phase aside from coming back from a week long vacation over a week ago).

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I do not have any advice, but my dd, who will be 3 on Wednesday, has been the same way. It definitely happens more when she is overtired. We are having more and more of those days with no nap and I can't get dh to pitch in and help with an earlier bedtime, so she ends up just missing 2 hours of sleep.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I do not have any advice, but my dd, who will be 3 on Wednesday, has been the same way. It definitely happens more when she is overtired. We are having more and more of those days with no nap and I can't get dh to pitch in and help with an earlier bedtime, so she ends up just missing 2 hours of sleep.
Unfortunately, ds stopped napping around age 2. While we were on vacation he napped for about an hour every day after spending all morning and afternoon playing in the ocean. I am wondering if it's possible that it has thrown him off this drastically.

Dh is willing to help with bed time and he usually gets ds changed, reads him a story or two, brushes his teeth with him and reminds him to use the bathroom...but when ds wakes at night, he only wants me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts