Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is going to be 5 in June. Recently he is very moody and rebellious... I dont know what to do with him.......he used to be so agreeable....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
nak<br><br>
i know just how u feel, my ds just turned 5 and since about the summer he has been the same as yours. Im glad to see that im not the only one with these problems LOL. I was told that around 5 they get a burst of hormones, almost like a teenager, i don't have to much advice as i am in the same boat as u, somethings that are working is just to remind them that it is not acceptable to act or talk that way in a firm but gental voice, I hve had to resort to time out once and a while, either in the chair or his room, I do 5 mins 1 min for each yearold he is. Try not to get to stressed about it, i know i can LOL I have been told they will grow out of it soon, it is hard at that age to express there emotions and learn how to deal with stuff that frustrates them. untill then goodluck to the both of us, we need it sometimes.<br>
LOL

·
Registered
792 Posts
My DD will be 5 on sunday. She's definitely moody & rebellious. Starting to talk back a bit as well. Some days she drives me CRAZY! I thought I was being a hormone induced pregnant woman with her until a friend said her son the same age was that way too!<br><br>
L

·
Registered
737 Posts
angela&avery-my dd's birthday is 6/6!<br><br>
She just went through a really moody phase but seems to be mostly out of it by now. I have a friend who has a theory that the 1/2 year mark is always the hardest and for some wierd reason it has been proven true with my dd.<br><br>
It is such a hard and interesting age. One second she is asserting her autonomy and independence and the next she is falling apart and needs momma.<br><br>
I have realized that things go smoothly if she feels that she has as much control and decision making power as possible. She really needs to feel heard (who doesn't I guess). I feel like I am constantly reminding myself that she is only 4 1/2 and doesn't always have a handle on her emotions.<br><br>
She can be a bit mean and disrespectful sometimes for what seems to be no reason (I'm sure that there is a reason-I just haven't figured it out). I feel like I am constantly reminding myself that she is only 4 1/2 and doesn't always have a handle on her emotions. We just remind her that we treat our family with respect and to please find another way to express her feelings. Unfortunately you are stupid or poopy and I hate you are common phrases in our house but she is really trying to work on not saying them anymore. She does understand that words are powerful.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
See if you can get one of these books from your library or inter-library loan: <i>Your Four Year Old</i> and <i>Your Five Year Old</i> both by Ames and Ilg. These books have a wealth of wonderful information about this age group, and helped me better understand my oldest when she was 4 going on 5 (these books start at age 1 and go up through age 10 or so, and I turn to them with each new year. I'll be going back to the 4 and 5 year old book very soon to refresh as my son is 4.5 now and changing).<br><br>
One thing I remember them saying in these books, and which I have observed to be pretty right on with my kids, is that around the time of the half-birthday and then again at the birthday kids go through a phase of disequilibrium: they're moody, difficult, clumsy, frustrated. This is due to developmental reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts