Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wee one was in the stroller for the first time, and I only used it today because it's so hot with the wrap or sling, I was at the checkout and a father two in front of us was having trouble dealing with his little girl who was being naughty to say the least, when I bent down to get the messages out of the basket of the stroller she started hitting, not just hitting but thumping Kian who was strapped in, my dd who will be 4 next week was shouting at her to stop
and the father did NOTHING
: , I threw the shopping on the floor and grabbed the little girl's hands to stop her from hitting him and Kian was SCREAMING, the little girl then wriggled free and ran away and I picked up Kian he was sobbing so hard his wee face all red and sore, the father packed his shopping away and then went off to collect the little girl and walked out of the market hitting her
! Phoned hubby who said why weren't you watching what was happening so now I feel like an awful mother who didn't confront the father of the child and that I can't protect my own children, Kian is now asleep (still sobbing) I think more out of shock than anything else but I feel SO awful, why didn't I just carry him like I normally do?

·
Registered
215 Posts
u cant look at it like that cause its the other childs problem that child shouldnt have just started hitting ur son like that. Her father needs a butt whooopin.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Her father needs a butt whooopin.
Actually, that cycle of violence sounds like it might be what led this little girl to behave like she did.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I think the father's been "whooped" too many times already.

Why else would he hit his child? Where else would she have learned to hit people smaller than her?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sorry you went through such an ordeal!
s Don't blame yourself or feel guilty for having your babe in a stroller. Its one of those things yk? The ONE day you do something different---that damn Murphey guy comes along to screw things up

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It's not your fault at all. The sad truth is we can't protect our kids from everything all the time. There's no way you could expect something like that to happen. I feel bad for your little guy, but also for that little girl. Something is definitely not right in that family. I don't know if confronting the father would have been a good idea, anyway. If he was hitting her as she left, it might have even been worse if you had confronted him.

By the way, I love your baby's name!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee
It's not your fault at all. The sad truth is we can't protect our kids from everything all the time. There's no way you could expect something like that to happen. I feel bad for your little guy, but also for that little girl. Something is definitely not right in that family. I don't know if confronting the father would have been a good idea, anyway. If he was hitting her as she left, it might have even been worse if you had confronted him.

By the way, I love your baby's name
: !

·
Registered
5,376 Posts

I know you're feeling awful, but there will always be situations where you'll want to ask "what if" ..
but I can't believe that father didn't intervene and pick her up or even apologize to you!! What a terrible thing to have gone through

·
Registered
181 Posts
That sounds like what I would have done....stopped the attack and then later play it thru my mind and be enraged at the father for his lack of action!! I mean, you really couldn't have done anything else...really....aside from get in to an altercation with this man and you had 2 kids with you...that wasn't an option IMO.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
OMG. OMG.
I am SO UN-GD when it comes to crap like this, I honestly think I would have attacked the dad! Do NOT touch my baby, and CERTAINLY don't beat her, I don't give a rat's ass if you're a baby yourself.
Oh that jerk would have KNOWN I was there!
PLEASE do NOT blame yourself for this! My DH would have said the SAME THING! He is UBER paranoid about safety. Recently my babe fell off the bed & naturally that was my fault, as I wasn't standing there watching her sleep.
: Anyhow, my point is, it's not your fault.
Did you talk to a store manager?
Probably nothing they could have done.

I am SO sorry.
Poor baby.

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah, sounds like you did exactly what you needed to - focus on your baby and comfort him. i too feel sorry for that other little girl! i will never understand why some parents hit their kids to teach them not to hit... huhhhh??
makes me feel soooo lucky i was raised the way i was. my dh, not so lucky, unfortunately.

speaking of dh's, did it bother you that yours sort of blamed you for what happened at the store? it seems to me that you really could not have prevented it. you can't literally keep your eyes on your kids at all times, especially if you have two and you're at the store. i just know that it's important to have complete support and understanding from your partner, and it can be really frustrating sometimes to hear judgmental things like that from someone who wasn't there and doesn't know what happened. chances are, if dh had been shopping with you and the babes that day, it still woulda happened, ya know? just my opinion.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Yes, and how ironic that he was hitting her as they left, probably telling her "we don't hit!"
:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moonpie's Mama - Yeah I guess I was disappointed with him from the support point of view or lack of it - the problem is these things always happen when I am by myself! He's so conscious of other people and what's going on around I honestly think that it wouldn't have happened if he had been with us, you know he has one of those stares that would freeze a ghost!

I don't blame the little girl at all after all it's learned behaviour I was angry at the father for doing nothing
: , earlier he had pretended to phone his wife to tell her that their child was being naughty the child isn't stupid and knew that her mother could do nothing as she wasn't there, and then of course everytime he asked her to come to him she ran away and he did nothing - empty threats

I guess I just got a fright - my kids are very loving towards each other and just don't hit each other
and although dh was brought up in a very violent household he has chosen not to follow that course, so I think it was shock for us all, to top it all my dd was very upset at what happened and was crying as well so I was standing at the checkout with two crying children trying to pay and trying not to cry as well! and of course that's when everyone stops and watches your reaction - don't offer to put the shopping away just talk about you as if you're not there. Well it's Kian's 1st birthday tomorrow so I'm off to make a raspberry sorbet cake for him - hope it'll mend things for him - my wee honey!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Sounds like something most of us would have done. Taken care of our child first and then, if possible, confront the parent/child. But, it is not always possible to confront (or easy)

BTW, LOVE the name Kian (it is my Nephew's)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Oh Ewe!!
I am so sorry to hear about this! What a jerk!!! And I also feel sorry for that little girl
. I don't think there's really anything you could have done differently. Like pps said, you can't keep your eyes on your kids all the time! Who would think their child would be in danger in a stroller right by them? And if you'd confronted the father, maybe it would have made things even worse for the little girl, yk? Would have gotten him even angrier and more worked up, and then he would have taken it out on his poor dd. Man, that family sounds so messed up. It makes me so sad to see stuff like that. And poor Kian ... what a shock that must have been to have that come out of the blue
. And your poor dd, too. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts