Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is almost three months old now. My dh and I are very anti-drug. I never take them. Not even an asprin my entire pregnancy or birth. I really believe that the human body is very wise in how it handles itself, even if it's painful.

When my dd was born she was EXTREMELY colicy. She hated being alive. She was up screaming and crying at least ten hours a day, throwing fits. It was awful. Then I found the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" and it was a life saver. I used the techniques in it and she transformed into a happy baby that slept a lot longer. I thought, wonderful. Problem solved, she was just overstimulated.

Well she's now at the point where she is rolling over, sitting up, smiling all the time. She's adorable. I thought she was a sour puss and that I would just always have a cranky, fussy baby. When my friends saw her in the early days they all said that she looks like a grumpy old man...and she did.

Well now she's so cute. A different baby. Except when she gets painful gas which is quite often. When she passes gas they have a lot of force behind them and they sound like they hurt. She just screams in pain. It's a different cry than she used to have. It's not overstimulation. It's pain and my heart is breaking. I got a taste of her sweet soul and to see her jerked around by pain is hard.

It got me thinking last night that I need to be open minded in my philosophy about aids helping to ease her pain. Why can't I use a little something to help comfort her....the problem is, I don't know what to use or how to use it.

I don't want any hard or harsh drugs. I've heard of gripewater and no gas. But don't know where to get it or how to use it. Are there side effects? Does it harm the baby's digestive system? How often would I use such an aid? Before/after feeding? Throughout the day or only once...ect.

Did anybody else have a little baby with painful gas? Were you able to ease it?

I usually keep my diet very clean with dairy and citrus eliminated, plus peanuts and whatnot....but I can't be too strict overall because then I don't eat enough. I need to feel nourished. So I am already working on the diet angle but need help with other alternatives as well that are safe for my baby.

Any suggestions/advice?

TIA
Caring Touch

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Gripe water is available at your local natural-foods store, or you can order it online (just do a google search and you'll get lots of hits, I'm sure). You can also try a little Mylicon, which will help ease the baby's pain. My DS had painful gas, too, and both of these seemed to provide him some ease. Just use them as needed, when the gas seems to be starting. Others might have more info, but I don't think there are any lasting or harmful side effects. I used both of these remedies without qualms (although I don't have any concerns about taking OTC medicines and have been known to take an Advil or two, among other things
) Obviously, you want to use these things in moderation, and you have to judge for yourself whether the benefits will outweigh any discomfort you feel giving them to your babe.

I know how hard it is to hear her cry! Good luck to you, and definitely do pursue the diet angle, because that was one thing that made a huge difference in my DS's gas. ETA: Chocolate was one of the culprits for us, and here I had been eating a candy bar every day! I had never heard about that being a cause of gas, either, so I never would have thought to eliminate it, but when I did (along with dairy & tomato products), the problem cleared up quickly.

HTHS.
~nick

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Mylicon didn't work when my first was like that. Eliminating dairy really helped, but it took a few weeks to notice a huge difference. Some women find that the tiniest amount of dairy product in their diet would cause their babies severe problems. It might be something else totally, though. Have you tried keeping a diet journal to see if you can find a relationship between what you are eating and your baby's intestinal distress?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts