Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my DS is 3 months old. He hates to nurse away from home.he will give me signs that he is hungry, and then just scream and squirm when i put him to the breast. last night was the worst yet. we were at a friends house and he started to exhibit hunger cues, and it had been a while since he last ate, so i tried to nurse him and he just screamed. i tried many different positions, places to sit, even different rooms, finally after about 30 minutes of him crying profusely, he nursed while we lied down on the guest bed. he has done this (although not as bad as last night) at stores, at peoples homes and also when i have tried to nurse him in the car in various parking lots. when we are at home he never cries and he is willing to nurse in any room, in various positions, no problems. has anyone else experienced this? is he just overstimulated? will this get easier for us? i am so discouraged. ftr, i dont typically use any sort of cover, but i couple times i have tried to shield him with the tail of my sling thinking that might help if he's overstimulated, but that did not go over well either.<br><br>
does anyone have any suggestions? i am at wits end. i just want to be able to go about life, and nurse him when he's hungry without feeling the need to only go out for short intervals between feedings. i am going to practice nursing in the sling around the house a lot more. i am still trying to get the hang of nursing while he's in the sling, but maybe if he gets used to it at home it will be like a constant for him when we are out. please give me suggestions or at least tell me he will grow out of this!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My DD was too distracted to nurse in public after about 2 months unless we were in a boring, secluded space. Empty stairwells, the back seat of our car, peoples bedrooms, and bathrooms were usually quiet and boring enough. If the place we were at was really noisy and interesting she wouldn't nurse at all. My DD didn't grow out of this. It did became easier for us once she started eating other foods.

·
Registered
394 Posts
DS2 was like this for the first few months. Luckily for me he would nurse in our car. I just made sure that I nursed him really good before I went in the store. He's always been a pretty easy baby so I didn't mind that he wouldn't NIP. I think wearing your DS in a sling would be a good idea. Maybe he will feel more comfortable NIP that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts