Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 month old boy who self-weaned at about 13 months. This was quite a surprise to me since my older son didn't stop nursing until he was nearly 3.
Anyways, my younger son has always had a pacifier that he sucks on at nap time and bed time. He occassionally has it when not sleeping as well.
Since he stopped nursing he has developed a somewhat odd habit. Whenever he puts the paci in his mouth he comes to me pulls up my shirt a bit and kneads, squeezes, and pokes my belly. Sometimes he will lay his head on my beely, and sometimes he sticks his bare feet on my belly.
I lay with him at nap time and bed time until he falls asleep and he is very adamant about doing the belly-grabbing.
He sleeps on a futon on the floor with his older brother. Every morning he comes into my bed, pulls back my covers, pulls up my shirt, and starts in on my belly.
He does this when I hold him on my lap.
Actually the belly grabbing seems to be increasing and he gets really angry (cries, yells, etc) if I try and stop or deter him.
Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or had this actually happen to them.
I love cuddeling my baby boy, but his constant belly grabbing can get annoying and at times painful.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I had to open your post because my 12 month old does this too. Not to the extent that yours does, she doesn't seek it out except when she finishes nursing. As soon as she finishes, she sits up and starts kneading and poking my belly! She has been doing this for a few months and I always laugh because she gets the biggest smile on her face while she does it.

Now, I'm not so sure it's so cute, if she could end up being obsessed with it, lol! I'll have to watch it ...

I'm curious if there are others.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a belly slapper/squeezer here, who also tries to nurse from my belly button (she's 13 months). I think its cause she only really sees my belly after nursing. It's cute, I just wish there was a little less belly for her to squeeze!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dd is 2 and 4 months. She always had a "thing" for my belly, too. When she was nursing and after she weaned (around 19 months) she would touch/rub/poke my belly while she sucked her fingers. Then she had a brief stint with twisting her hair while sucking. Now it is her own belly, as of the last month or two. When she started in on her own, I was worried at first that she might end up with a belly button infection or something, but so far everything's been fine. She gets very upset if you try to deter her, so I don't mention it anymore. Obviously it's a comfort method. I'm pg, so I wonder if that's why she stopped with MY belly? Good luck, ladies!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think it's because we play with her belly - blowing raspberries and such - and she's trying to figure out how to reciprocate.

The other night was the tops, though. I was sitting kind of slouched over, so there was a nice roll formed, you know? She lifted up my shirt, grabbed the roll, and GIGGLED! Pinch an inch!
Good thing she's cute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.