Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: I am just so happy and proud! I have been reading to sophia every night before we nurse to sleep. We read 3 or 4 books that she seems to really like (she is ten months old). This morning, I had to put her in her crib for a few minutes while I did some laundry. She normally hates her crib, she co-sleeps so gets upset in the crib, ect . . . But I put her books in there with her. Well, I came up from doing the laundry, checked my email, and realized, There was no sounds coming from the bedroom! So I went over and peeked at her and she was sitting with her back to me turning the pages of her books and pointing at the pictures with her cute, adorable little, pointer finger. It just did my mama heart so good! I love to read and I feel like I'm passing it on to my daughter

·
Registered
972 Posts
That's so cool!
My ds is only 3 months or so, and I think he's into books already. He's just on the verge of being able to do things with his hands, and one of the things he's really trying to do is turn the pages of books. After a few minutes of trying he gets really frustrated because his hands just haven't caught up with him yet. I'm also noticing that if I read to him from a really simple book, like "Who's Hat is That?" which has that phrase on each page with an animal in a hat, he seems to calm down and focus, but if I try to read him a book with more of a story to it, he gets fidgety and impatient. That's exciting, too, because it makes me think he kind of understands the simple books, at least on some level.
Yay for reading babies!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the simple books are better I think. With bright colors. Too many words and sophia gets restless.

She loves this book my friend got us when she was born. It's called "Where is Baby's Bellybutton" and it has little flaps they can lift up and find things. It's her favorite right now
:

This must be one of the really, really, good parts of being a mother!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My ds (almost 7 months) loves to read too. My husband, son, and I all lay down on the bed and read books.Ds kicks and waves his arms and squeals at the books as we talk about the pictures. I love our "family book time"!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My 6.5 month old loves books too...she loves to chew on them!!
I try reading to her, and she loves looking at the pictures for about half a second before her love of eating paper takes over.
:

But then again, she is one who absolutely *hates* sitting still, so that could be part of it too. I am such an avid reader, I hope she eventually comes around to enjoying reading as much as eating books!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
panthera28 - chewing and mouthing books is actually a type of "early reading" Sophia did that for a long time too but I kept trying to read to her and now she will sit for it. It really started when she started pointing at things and saying "that" . The books give her stuff to point at. We got a BIG book with lots of colorful pics that she could crawl on top of and that really got her started. She would use my finger to point and then I would tell her the names of things. It's so fun!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Awww! That's great mama! I've always read every single night to my dd, pretty much since birth. She just turned seven on Monday and is in first grade. Her teacher recently told me she is reading at a 3rd grade level. After we read together, she lays in bed and reads by herself until she falls asleep, exactly as I do. Its so cool!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
panthera28 - chewing and mouthing books is actually a type of "early reading"
Oh, I know, I actually call it part of our "early literacy program"
I know she will eventually enjoy reading, but right now she is too busy moving and crawling to want to sit still to read. She will even crawl with a book in one hand, so she can chew as she goes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is SO GREAT!
My mom would be so happy too, she's a national trainer for MotheRead/FatheRead, which is an org. that teaches parents how to read to their children and bring in learning and interests for the whole family.

My dd loved to read like that as a baby. She's almost 11 now, and STILL loves it - both being read to, and reading on her own.

here's a tip for the longevity of reading: KEEP READING TO THEM EVEN AFTER THEY LEARN TO READ ON THEIR OWN!!!
The reading level can get high, but the comprehention may not match the reading level. for a while books are either too simple in content, but at the right reading level, or they're too complex reading level but the right content. Studies show that the comprehension level and reading level matches up around 13 or 14 yrs old. So reading aloud is a big deal till AT LEAST then.

It's a special thing for dd and I still read to her every night - and during the day too if I can - and have since she was a baby...it has definatly paid off. She leads the class in language, comprehension, grammar, writing and social skills. Not to mention it keeps us close and invites lots of discussion.

KEEP IT UP!!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Yes, the simple books are better I think. With bright colors. Too many words and sophia gets restless.

She loves this book my friend got us when she was born. It's called "Where is Baby's Bellybutton" and it has little flaps they can lift up and find things. It's her favorite right now
:

This must be one of the really, really, good parts of being a mother!
That's my babe's fave too (5 mos)! She also likes Good Night Moon. And it's funny, sometimes she likes the pictures when I DON'T read, then sometimes she gets mad until I DO read! It's amazing how much their little minds can comprehend!

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's off topic, but one of the books I'm showing to ds is called "Puppy's Tail" and it has a stuffed animal tail stapled to the spine. Last night the dog came in the room with the book hanging out of his mouth by its tail.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks for inspiring me to start reading more to my DS. I just read him some books ! Thanks ... I love books and we have alot but have not read to him in awhile now we are going to everyday ! I love MDC ..

Just a side note : Yesterday I was watching the news and they showed some toys that are not safe , one of them is DS' fave book , Who loves baby a pic book (you put the pics in ) made by sassy , they said it contains a dangerous chemical . here is the link : http://cbs5.com/consumer

I am getting rid of all their plastic books . Just wanted to warn all you other reading mommas out their

1 - 18 of 18 Posts