Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I have a 7.5 mo old little boy and he won't eat any of the foods I have tried him on. He is exclusively breastfed and is a whopping 23 pounds at 7 mo. but I am concerned that he's not eating. Most babies I have seen are pretty established on solids at this point and he has absolutely no interest at all. I have tried bannanas, cereal, avacado,apples,pears,squash,peas... He doesnt like anything and starts writhing around in his seat when I try and feed him... I don't want to force it on him but should I be worried? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Eleshia

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My little girl is almost 9mo and is not very interested in solids. Some days more than others. As long as she is having enough wet adn dirty diapers I know she is fine.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hmm... have you tried just sitting him on your lap while you eat and letting him see how much you're enjoying your food? Maybe he'll figure out that eating is fun if he sees Mommy enjoying it. I wouldn't think there's a problem with it. He'll eventually be interested! Even if he doesn't make the connection with hunger yet - your BM satisfies that urge. But sooner or later he'll figure out that food can be fun to put in his mouth etc.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
7 1/2 months is still really young to be eating solid foods.

ETA: I don't mean that 7 1/2 month olds shouldn't b eating solid foods, but that 7 1/2 months is young for a lot of babies, and that you definitely shouldn't be worried about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my nurse practitioner told me babies can exclusively breast feed for their first year w/o any problem. my dd was totally into solids at 4 1/2 months, would scream and point when we ate. my friend tried to give her dd solids at around 7 months adn she wasn't interested at all. she'll be a year next month and now she's eating well but still mostly breastfeeding. i think each child is different and you should watch for clues. as long as your dc is healthy i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
He's totally fine, don't worry about it at all!

Both of my DS's weren't even remotely interested in solids till 9+ months.

DS2 has only recently started on more solids (table foods) in the past few weeks. He's 12 months old.

Breastmilk is perfect for the entire first year (and of course beyond, but I mean exclusively for the first year is fine).

Remember, starting solids is the first step to (hopefully gradually) weaning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ds is 8 1/2 and has just started showing interest in foods. Now he fusses when he doesn't have something to eat while we are sitting at the table. For the longest time we would sit him with us in his own booster, but just give him a spoon to play with. That was all he wanted - to be a part of the table, but now he wants food, so we are working to have foods available for him to eat.

Also, I know that my little brother and sister were 13 and 14 months before they wanted solids. My mom has said that they had a cake at their 1 year birthday, but just made a mess, had no interest whatsoever in eating it. They definitely turned out to be happy healthy individuals!

Nice to see that you are watching your baby's cues and know that they aren't yet interested! Still plenty of time for solids!

·
Registered
283 Posts
My dd had the odd like of food from around 6 months. But mostly she screamed if you put food near her. She sucked on rice cakes and roasted peppers and that was about it. I just stopped the food battles with her. It really wasn't worth it.

Then around 11 months she started grabbing food off our plates and eating it. She now will eat pretty much anything. But she still has days where she doesn't eat that much.

I wouldn't worry about it. Breastmilk is best for baby and is a complete food. There is always time for solids later on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.