Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DD I had a chronic UTI problem. No symptoms ever. Actually the first one, the symptom was I was uncomfortable all night, thinking I had wicked gas, when in fact I was having a form of PTL and dilated 1cm, effaced, and DD dropped. Scary stuff at 21 weeks.

Last night, same thing. I started the Cranactin in case it was a UTI and not intestinal, and have been taking a ton today and drinking water. I don't feel much better. I talked to mw this morning, and she didn't seem as concerned as I'd have liked her to be. Even though this has happened to me before, she just said UTI's don't usually present that way so let's see how you feel later. I know they don't present this way usually, and that is what makes things difficult. On top of me having problems with cephalosporin antibiotics (I was allergic to the antibiotic safe during pregnancy for the bacteria I had with DD). Sooo....I guess I just don't know what to do. I just don't feel right and it concerns me. DH is naturally underway tonight (that means he's out on his ship for work) so it's me and the kids. I wish I had some of those pee sticks most mw's and dr's use...can I find those at the drug store? I know I can order them but I want one NOW!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

I'm pretty sure that you can get the dipsticks at the drug store, but they may have them behind the pharmacy counter (I know they tend to keep the ketosticks there). Do you think you may have overdone it recently and pulled something that's causing the pain? I wish I had more advice for you. If you are really that concerned about things, I think another call to the midwife is in order - even if it works out to be something small, the stress it's causing isn't doing you any good.
again and let us know how you are feeling.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I talked to midwife again, and here are my choices:

1) Wait it out til Monday, then get a urine test.

2) Go to a pharmacy and get test strips (Not an option, I called a zillion of them and they all either closed at 5 or 6pm or don't have them)

3) Have her call in some antibiotics and take those

4) Go to the hospital and get on a monitor so I can see if I am having contractions or not. (I have checked my cervix and not noted a change since this morning, though this does not mean I'm not contracting)

My belly is tender mostly above my uterus, indicating intestinal...but the general discomfort is all over. It can even be uncomfortable walking. My friend suggested trying some chammomile tea, I'm also thinking maybe trying gas-x? I really don't want to go to the hospital here.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
You know, this is strange... I've been having the exact same symptoms today. I don't have your history, so it hasn't been as concerning for me. But I have been wondering why my stomach feels the way it does today, as it feels tight when I stand up like I'm contracting and very tender and sore
:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I don't have a history of uti's but I have had a lot of belly pain with this and the last pregnancy. With my last pregnancy I started having Braxton Hicks this early and they mostly felt like pms cramps and/or terrible gas. MW said it was normal for subsequent pregnancies.

Last night and the night before I had horrible stomach pain that had me curled up in bed unable to sleep, but its a lot lower, mostly round ligament pain from too much exertion. Coupled again with gas, which makes everything worse.

I hope you find out what is happening for you--its so hard worrying.

·
Registered
413 Posts
For the past several days I've had stomach pain too. Cramps... And when it started each time, I thought I had overdone it or something. I noticed it'd start when i had been doing a lot of bending over. Then shortly after, I'd poop. So I don't know if it was poop pains or what. I didn't feel like I had to poop before then. I've never had the braxton hicks (that I could tell anyway) in prev pg's. So I don't know if that'd apply or not. I hope it goes away because it sure is annoying. The other day in Walmart, I was pushing the stroller. I had only been in there about 10 minutes and my stomach started hurting, so I actually sat down in the aisle to rest. (yes, on the floor!) Then I got up and made it to the check-out, paid, then went into the bathroom and pooped.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I get bouts of stomach pain too. Try a bath, or soaking a flannel in chamomile tea and placing that over your bump- it's a nice way of calming aggressive BH ctx as well.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Feeling better this morning, thank goodness! I think it was intestinal. I never had to go to the bathroom or anything, but whatever it was it seems to have passed. I took some gas-x, drank a cup of chammomile tea, and a cup of tea I brewed with anise seeds, and it seems to have done the trick! I'm so glad. I really don't want to deal with the UTI craziness of my last pregnancy. My belly is still slightly tender, but not like yesterday so I'm assuming things are on the right track. I was really dreading a trip to the hospital today if things didn't clear up.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have been having some mild crampy feelings and read online that it's normal for the uterus to do some contracting around 17 weeks since the baby is growing a lot. I'd buy some pee sticks so you can take the guesswork out and not have to stress over this! Good luck and I hope you feel better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.