Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning with the most insane pain in my left breast. I realized that it was from having pulled down my cheap, TJMaxx sports bra to nurse ds in the night, and forgetting to fix it back afterwards. I fixed it right away and thought the pain would gradually subside, but it's not. A couple hours later I noticed that I was getting MINOR chills and feeling a little bit faint (dizzy, weak) but I have been so busy the last few days that I probably haven't had a real meal in 4 days. Just random slices of sandwich ham, a little yogurt here, a banana there. So I'm thinking that, coupled with my also-decreased water intake, could be making me feel weak.<br><br>
everything I've read says that a plugged duct can be felt in the breast, and that with mastitis it is hot to the touch, red and irritated. None of that is true here. It's just pain. It is the "inside" side of my left breast, underneath where there would be underwire in a bra (although the sports bra didn't have any.)<br><br>
What does this sound like to you experienced mamas? And, do I really have to go to the doctor? We are having a tough time right now (hence the not eating from stress) and I CANNOT afford the copay.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
It sounds like a plugged duct to me. Nurse on that side first each time. Keep it as empty as you can. Drink as much water as you can stand. Try to massage it towards your nipple before nursing, and during if possible. If you notice your temperature climbing, it is most likely turning to mastitis. If no temp, you can just keep nursing/pumping that side. I guess you now know to not forget to fix your bra afterwards. If you keep having the problem, soy lecithin is supposed to help prevent plugged ducts. I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...if it turns to mastitis, does that mean a doctor visit? Can I treat that at home too? How long does a plugged duct usually last?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It can be the beginning of mastitis. Nurse then pump, then nurse, then pump. Empty out the breast constantly. Whether it's a plugged duct or mastitis, it's treated the same in that sense. Nurse in numerous positions. Drink LOTS of water & fluids. Make sure you're eating well & taking care of yourself right now. I know it's easy to forget while taking care of a little one, but you're not any good sick or in pain. You only need to go to the Dr. if you run a fever for more than 24 hrs, then it's possible that the infection (mastitis) needs to be kicked harder, with an antibiotic. LOTS OF REST, mama!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had the same thing couple times and they both was cause my some mild trauma/pressure to the breast and it got better within couple days. Get lots of rest for couple days and see what happens.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you have flu-like symptoms (the chills, body aches, fatigue), then it is probably mastitis. I had it twice and thought that I was just getting sick at first. Then the boob pain started a couple of days later. OUCH! I ended up calling my Dr. and she prescribed antibiotics over the phone because it was such a classic case of mastitis. Cleared up within 24 hours of abx. Worth taking in this case!

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
You will know it if you get mastitis. It SUCKS! I let the fever go 24 hours one time, and wound up with an abcess and nipple necrosis, and that breast dried up. That was the second time I had mastitis. The third time I got it, I got antibiotics ASAP to avoid that happening again. My thoughts are now to get antibiotics ASAP if you get a fever/flu like symptoms AND breast pain. There are many antibiotics safe for bfing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts