Mothering Forum banner

My breast r too soft between 2 breastfeeding

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  AnnesMoM 
#1 ·
....does this mean that i am producing less??
: Is it a sign that I have low supply?My baby is 7 weeks old, and I want to BF so badly...Untill last week, I had lots of milk, hard breasts...now I feel that something changed.Does anyone know what could cause this?? What can I do about it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine are soft, but I have powerful and sometimes not so powerful let downs. Just keep it up, I really don't think the *softness* is important, it's probably just you getting use to your baby's demand. Around 8 weeks, you are really established in the needs for the babe, up until now, your body was just probably trying to determine the demand..supply and demand is the name of the game.

You probably will have a growth spurt coming real soon. Don't feel like you don't have enough milk just because you are soft, just nurse frequently and let your supply get back up to babe's demand. Then more than likely, you will go soft again.

Hope that helps!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenapple
....does this mean that i am producing less??
: Is it a sign that I have low supply?My baby is 7 weeks old, and I want to BF so badly...Untill last week, I had lots of milk, hard breasts...now I feel that something changed.Does anyone know what could cause this?? What can I do about it?

Supply eventually adjusts to demand, so it's normal for that early oversupply to go away. It doesn't mean you have *low* supply, just that you're not overproducing anymore.

Read this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

#6 ·
Mama, that happened to me at about the same time. No worries! I even went to LLL meeting to ask if it happened to anyone else. It just meant that my supply and demand had regulated. My baby is four months old now and we've never had any issues with low supply. Be comforted!

#7 ·
Hard engorged breasts are *not* normal, in that they're not what breasts *must* be like in order for breastfeeding to succeed. Engorgment is a symptom of too much milk, and most of us find that it goes away as our bodies become more in sync with the demands of our babies.

Of course, I completely understand the inclination to look at engorgement as a sign of adequate milk -- after all, so much about breastfeeding is intangible, it's not like you can see the number of oz. on the side of the breast! You will have to practice a combination of blind faith, along with some observation -- watch your baby, count wet diapers, etc.

But it all sounds normal to me. Keep up the good work, mama.

#9 ·
I was almost never engorged with this baby, even in the early days. The lactation consultant was sort of speechless because she was not used to seeing somebody having to 'aim' her floppy nipples into a baby's mouth.
I always made plenty of milk, but I just don't become engorged very easily. I also leak a lot, so it might just be that I have an over active "overflow valve".
:

#10 ·
I have saggy bb's never really got ingorged when my milk came in with ds but he was obviously getting plenty he had gained 5pds in his first month
It concerned me that I never seemed to get ingorged like I did with dd. I miss my bb's being firm and perky
They are still pretty perky but they are no were near firm.

#11 ·
It's actually very common for moms to start to wonder if they're losing their milk somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks p/p because exactly what has already been said: milk supply has stabilised to needs of the baby. Nursing on cue will make sure that the baby gets plenty plenty!

If you're still concerned, just count approx. wet and messy diapers (about 5-6 disp., 6 or more wet cloth, messy can get down to a couple of times per week), and see if your baby has times that he/she seems satisfied, relaxed. Is the baby alert? Does the baby have active times during the day? There are ways to know if something is wrong, especially as baby gets older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.