Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really confused about what to do and really need advice. Here is our situation. We have a 2.5 year old who is slightly over 30 pounds. We also have a 5 month old who will probably reach the 20 pound point within a couple of months. So, she will need a car seat change. Thus the dilemma. I am thoroughly confused as to what I should buy.<br><br>
Since my toddler is not at the 40 pound requirement for the booster seat, it eliminates moving him to that. So i think my basic two options are:<br><br>
(1) buy a toddler/booster seat for the 2 yo and put infant in his convertible? The problem with this is that I've been reading consumer reports and although they say that the toddler 5-point harness portion of these seats are okay, they are not recommended for use as a belt positioning seat when the child hits 40 lbs (the only exception was the Cosco Summit High Back Booster). So the disadvantage of doing this would be that I would basically be buying another toddler seat and it too would become useless to us when he does hit 40 pounds.<br><br>
(2) buy a second convertible seat for either 2 yo or infant. Keep them both in convertibles. Deal with the whole booster thing later. This sounds the most safe but we do work on a very limited budget so I struggle with the economical side of it. I know that safety is much more important than money and if this is truly the best decision, we will do it, but I'm just wondering if it is.<br><br>
Moreover, since we have basically decided that it is the best decision to put my ds in another 5 point harness car seat, is it better to buy a second convertible or to buy a toddler/booster combo but only use it with the 5 point harness until ds is 40 pounds? Bascially, is my 2.5 yo safest in a convertible seat (which I'm afraid he might outgrow head-wise???) or a toddler/booster seat, where they seems to be more room, but I'm not confident in the safety factor.<br><br>
And my final question: what kind of time frame am I looking at until my ds (now 2.5 and about 31 pounds) outgrows the convertible and needs to go to a booster seat (40 pounds)? First baby so I have no clue!!!<br><br>
Please give me some advice. I am so confused.<br><br>
Thank you very much.<br><br>
**edited to clarify questions**<br><br>

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We had the same problem. Our 5 month old was too long for his infant seat and would have weighed over 20 lbs in a few months. Our two year old was getting too tall for his seat even though he was no where near the 40 lb limit. This may not help if money is tight ( I think you said) because it's pretty expensive, but maybe you can find one by another company. Britax makes a seat that has a 5 point harness to 65 lbs. Not that you'd necessarily use it that long but, like you said, many of the convertible to booster seats don't rate very safe. This way we can keep our oldest or his brother in this seat for years. It's the only idea I've got for you, sorry. We had a tough time with this one too. Good luck finding a solution.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You could buy your toddler the Nania (I think is the name) Airway combo seat. It's a seat w/a 5pt harness system to 50 lbs and then goes to a belt positioning booster.<br><br>
Or..you could look into the Britax Marathon which is a convertible(meaning can be used rf or ff) seat to 65lbs ff or the Britax Husky which is a youth seat ff to 80lbs with a 5pt harness. (the harness is used throughout the weight limit). These seats are around $225.<br><br>
go to <a href="http://www.britaxusa.com" target="_blank">www.britaxusa.com</a> to see them.<br><br>
Oh, btw..the airway is only available at Burlington Coat Factory/Baby depot and online at the same. (It's about $100_

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I agree with what everyone ha said but I would strongly advise against buying a seat at Burlington Coat Factory unless you are POSITIVE that you will not want to return it. Their return policy is nothing short of terrible! The Airway is also available from babyage.com with $3.95 shipping.<br><a href="http://www.babyage.com/product_details.asp?productId=1574876" target="_blank">http://www.babyage.com/product_detai...ductId=1574876</a><br>
Their return policy is much better than Burlington but make sure you read the fine print:<br><a href="http://www.babyage.com/help.asp#return" target="_blank">http://www.babyage.com/help.asp#return</a><br><br>
The Britax Wizard also harnesses until 65 lbs like the Marathon.<br><br>
I really think in a situation where you are trying to save money the Airway would probably be your best choice, provided it fits your vehicle. I'm not saying this is a hard to fit seat, just that there is no telling if it will work for sure or not. I don't think a 2.5 or even 3.5 year old is mature enough to sit in a booster. There is no telling if it will take your son a few months or a few tears to put on those extra 5 lbs. But it's best to be proactive and figure out a solution to the problem before it becomes a problem.<br><br>
Oh one more thing about the airway, it has the open loop guide for the belt that is held with a cord. Most combination seats do not have this design and instead allow slack to be introduced and help in the belt path when a child leans forwars, which can be very dangerous. I really think the Airway is a good pick for you if you cannot swing a Marathon, Wizard or Husky.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was in a similar situation and bought a Britax Super Elite (now it's called the Husky, but they're pretty much the same seat) for my older ds and moved the baby into the convertible. I, too, wanted to keep him in a 5-pt harness, and this is a 5-pt harness up to 80 lbs. I may or may not use it that long, but my 4-yo can now strap himself in and out, and I've read that ideally even adults should be in 5-pt harnesses, so at least I have the option. Two downsides to this seat: it's very big and heavy, and also quite expensive. We've been happy with it though, and I'm glad to have something very safe that I know we'll get years of use out of. Good luck with your carseat search!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi! I totally understand your dilemma, although we were lucky in that it kind of worked out for us.<br><br>
My now 2.5 year old was a very tall and heavy baby and we had to transition him to a convertable at 6 months of age. We bought the Britax Marathon. He is still incredibly tall and although he hasn't hit the weight limit yet on the Marathon, his height caused us to have to look into the next step.<br><br>
After tons of research, and because of his age, we decided to go with the Britax Huskey. Like earlier posters mentioned it has a 5 pt harness that is up to 80 lbs and frankly... I liked the Marathon so much I was willing to continue with Britax.<br><br>
My now 4 month old is also very tall and she absolutely hated the infant car seat we had for her (my son's old one) so we transitioned her to the marathon and she is one happy camper. The thing that I feel Britax has going for it is comfort. These seats are VERY comfortable. I don't know if you have ever checked out the boosters at Baby Depot or anything - but they are so hard... I can't fathom sitting in them for long periods of time.<br><br>
Cost is a factor, however, the Britax seats are not all that cheap. However - we have next to no complaints on long car rides (as least as far as comfort is concerned) and I feel confident that they are actually in a safe seat (both have latch and harness systems).<br><br>
Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts