Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss's boss has been mentioning constantly ever since I announced my pregnancy early on that "if Juliacat has the baby at work...." Yesterday she said something about calling 911 if I go into labor! I'm starting to get creeped out by the way she keeps mentioning it as though she thinks someone is going to barricade us all in the building. I figure, first of all I only work part-time so I only spend about one-eighth of my time at work as it is, but if I DO have a contraction at work, I will ask someone to drive me home. I live three miles away. This is not a big deal and I would probably be home before the second contraction hit, and the baby might well not be born until the next day. But here is the boss talking about who in the office knows CPR (!!) and who delivered his own baby 40 years ago and who is a retired nurse and....AGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the news of my labor away from MIL as well. Fortunately for this situation (not fortunately overall), dd quit gymnastics, and I have friends who are helping out with my Wednesday night class, so there isn't any one day in the week that MIL always has her.

I said to dh last night, "I wish I could go into labor at full term and not have anyone know about it at all until the baby is a couple of days old." He totally agreed with me.
I wish!

Of course, I'm crazy, too. I have all of the newborn diapers stacked on the shelf, but I'm driving myself nuts thinking about what to pick in the next size up, what to pick when the baby starts daycare in a YEAR, etc. I'm seriously and thoroughly grossed out by disposables and can't stand the thought of my baby ever wearing one, but it makes me nervous that there is this thing (diapers) that we HAVE to have on hand, that's expensive at the outset and can't just be bought on a 9 p.m. Target run (although I guess they do have those automotive diapers?).

Actually, I would be fine with diaper service quality prefolds, Dritz pins, and Dappi nylon pull-on pants; it's just that if I went that route, I would be the only one changing diapers. Dh will use prefolds if he can trifold in a wrap, and basically I think everyone in the family/friends circle will be willing to use either trifolded prefolds or fitteds, but we'll have to have AIO's for daycare. We loved the Reuzm Elites last time around, but they're only available with snaps, which we actually strongly prefer, but daycare folks might have a different idea. AIO's are way expensive and I don't want to invest in a kind that doesn't fit right or isn't easy to use or doesn't come clean in our front loader. I can't believe dd has been asleep long enough for me to type this!!!! I should probably quit taking advantage of her sleepiness to tire out your eyes, and stop typing now.

· Registered
3,081 Posts
Both Walmart and Target carry regular cloth diapers - by regular I guess I mean the sort that my mom and grandma use, and I plan on using as burp cloths. I'm the rare one on these boards that really wants to use sposies I guess! so if you need them in a pinch . . . we ran out of sposies once with my youngest cousin and resorted to dishtowels! it works, if it is a bit inelegant.

As for the boss thing, no one has mentioned me going into labor at work, although since I work full time and plan on working up until . .. it is a definite possiblity. I just need to make sure that they don't call an ambulance or anything as I plan on having a homebirth. It does sort of worry me that I don't drive anymore, I'd have to call DH to come get me and he's like 20-30 minutes away. (I can't drive b/c I'm short and with my belly I don't reach the pedals anymore!)

- Hope all goes well for you -

Katrina

· Registered
4,615 Posts
DDc crashing.

My (gay, male) boss was very concerned that i might go into labor at work. I assured him that that wouldn't happen, and that as soon as anything DID start to happen, I'd leave work. That it isn't like in the movies and on TV. He was CERTAIN my water was going to break and baby would be born at my desk. I reassured him several times that that's really not how it works, and he occassionally mentioned it after that, but as always in a mostly-joking fashion.

He was m,ostly just uneducated about the whole process, and kind of skeeved out by it all. He didn't REALLY want to know anything about the whole process. All I could really do was reassure him it wouldn't be an issue and that he'd be the 3rd or 4th to know when I was in labor, which I planned to do at home, and not at work.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
You can try going on diaperswappers.com or swapmamas.com if you are looking for deals on EUC AIOs or pockets. I love the Happy Heinys pocket diapers we have - we use them with the prefolds inside them during the day and stuffed at night, and you could just pre-stuff them for a daycare that wouldn't be willing to use a prefold and cover (WTH is up with that anyway - it's not hard to just take out the old one, lay in a new one, and put the old one in a wet bag...is it?)

· Registered
2,653 Posts
i'm carrying LARGE... the people in the building i work in are used to it, kinda, but there are still the occasional if we get stuck in the elevator kind of jokes.. but i went to a meeting a week ago, and the women there were like, "we were trying to remember if we could deliver a baby." seriously? i'm not due for eight more weeks!!!!, and i don't think i would not be able to go elsewhere on the off chance that the babe decided to come. and, these people should KNOW the baby doesn't just pop right out! people watch too much television, methinks. sheesh.

· Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Betsy--the weird thing is that my boss is female, and has given birth. I think her kid was born in the late 1980's, so she probably even remembers how it happened. But yeah, I definitely agree with hildare that people watch way too much TV and movies and get strange ideas about how babies arrive!

Kcparker--I'm kind of grossed out by buying other people's used diapers (although I have no qualms about selling our used diapers to other people
) and I disliked HH when I used them with dd. However, something similar would probably work fine. I want to make it as easy on the daycare people as I possibly can without making it hard on us!

akind1--you're right, my fear of running out of diapers is irrational given what's available.
I hope you have a drama-free labor!

· Registered
3,257 Posts
yeah, your boss does sound a bit crazy, LOL.

re: diapers--Our Target carries bG! 3.0s
but really, ANY scrap of snappi-able cloth can suffice as a dipe if you're stuck in between washings. Maybe pick up some of those dappi nylon pants as "back-up covers" and keep them in the diaper bag or car if you're that worried. I have always squeaked by on the minimum of dipes and rarely had to resort to a coverless dishcloth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.