Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using UBCPFs for 4 months now and they are not nearly as soft as they were when I first started using them. They're not ultra stiff, just feel kinda hard. I do a cold prewash with 1/4c. detergent and then a hot/cold long wash, sometimes adding vinegar. It almost feels like there is still detergent in them when done drying. Any suggestions on what I can do to make them soft again?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I would guess rinsing really well, possibly washing with sportswash, and continue with the vinager(natural fabric softener). I sometimes also dry them in the dryer with a few tennis balls...that also helps fluff them up.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Maybe:<br><br>
1.) You have hard water. Diapers washed in hard water can start to look dingy and feel scratchy. Continuing to wash in hard water - without any type of water conditioner - can render fiber damage to your diapers and shorten their life.<br><br>
The remedy for your diapers at present may be to strip them, thereby removing a build-up of residue caused by hardness minerals and even the waste that is trying to be removed from your diapers in the wash. A simple procedure for stripping diapers can be found <a href="http://www.thediaperhyena.com/smell.htm#stripping" target="_blank">here</a>.<br><br>
2.) Your diapers are not being rinsed effectively. In which case, you may want to put less diapers in your washer at a time to allow for more water for thorough rinsing. We often overstuff our washers without intending to do so.<br><br>
3.) Too much detergent usage. This is probably not likely - if you are in a hard water area, you may need a combination of a water conditioner like Calgon, along with an increase in detergent to effectively cut through the grunge that has built-up on your diapers.<br><br>
Let us know how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts