Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using UBCPFs for 4 months now and they are not nearly as soft as they were when I first started using them. They're not ultra stiff, just feel kinda hard. I do a cold prewash with 1/4c. detergent and then a hot/cold long wash, sometimes adding vinegar. It almost feels like there is still detergent in them when done drying. Any suggestions on what I can do to make them soft again?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I would guess rinsing really well, possibly washing with sportswash, and continue with the vinager(natural fabric softener). I sometimes also dry them in the dryer with a few tennis balls...that also helps fluff them up.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Maybe:

1.) You have hard water. Diapers washed in hard water can start to look dingy and feel scratchy. Continuing to wash in hard water - without any type of water conditioner - can render fiber damage to your diapers and shorten their life.

The remedy for your diapers at present may be to strip them, thereby removing a build-up of residue caused by hardness minerals and even the waste that is trying to be removed from your diapers in the wash. A simple procedure for stripping diapers can be found here.

2.) Your diapers are not being rinsed effectively. In which case, you may want to put less diapers in your washer at a time to allow for more water for thorough rinsing. We often overstuff our washers without intending to do so.

3.) Too much detergent usage. This is probably not likely - if you are in a hard water area, you may need a combination of a water conditioner like Calgon, along with an increase in detergent to effectively cut through the grunge that has built-up on your diapers.

Let us know how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.