Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently seeing the mw who caught my last ds at home. Right now we're taking on a huge mortgage & I'm feeling SO stressed at the thought of spending a significant amount of money when I know for a fact my ins. co. won't pay a penny back of it to me. There's a few highly recommended CNM's in my area who take my ins. & I'm considering interviewing them.

My concern with having a hospital birth vs. a homebirth is at home I'm guaranteed I won't be having a c/s (not unless I'm transfered) but if I choose to birth at a hospital my chances of walking away without another c/s dwindle considerably. I'll do ANYTHING to avoid another c/s but this is putting a strain on us fianancially so I'm not sure what to do.

I guess this is a complaint more than anything. I'm just confused because I want the homebirth mainly to avoid the c/s but I want to help out with the financial burden if I can, too. Anyone been here? This sucks.
:

Shannon

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one of my kids up in Reno, only at Washoe Med. That was my c/s, actually. I figure it'd cost almost as much with deductables if I end up having a repeat c/s.
I don't even want to go that route! I figure with a CNM I have a better shot at less interventions & I'll have a better chance of walking out of the hospital without having had another c/s.

I'm paying the minimum to my mw as it is. She has a sliding scale of $2200-3600. Right now I just can't wrap my mind around paying it again (we just had a homebirth with her last Sept.), knowing we won't see any of it again. I know her services are so valuable but my main reason for seeing her instead of an OB is to avoid the surgical aspect of it all.

I could put it on a CC but dh would rather pay cash. We actually have the money but my dh is the only one working & he's on 100% commission so you never know when you're going to need that extra $2200. I can't bring myself to part with it. She takes payments up until 36 weeks but I've only paid her $300 so far. I find it to be such a huge waste to pay every month for our insurance & never use it, too.

I haven't met with any of the CNM's yet. There will be no guarantee's from them, though. If they don't think I'm a good candidate for a VBAC they won't take me, though. So at least I'll know that way. My last birth was a VBAC & it went really smoothly. I'm confidant it'll be the same case if I stay at home. It's going to the hospital where they try to push every last intervention on you that worry's me. I know I can say "no" but when you're in the moment it's not as easy & my dh isn't a good advocate unless I inform him of what to do in advance, but you can't predict everything.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

Thanks for being a sounding-board, anyway.
Where in Reno are you? We moved to So. NV about 3 years ago from there. We were in the southwest end of town near the Atlantis. We still have family right over there, too.

Shannon

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All CNM's here legally cannot attend homebirth's. My current mw is a CPM & all she does is homebirth's. She's not allowed any rights in a hospital as a mw. She can come with us if we need a transfer & act as a doula but nothing more.

Shannon

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never heard of the stomp, stomp, squat exercise before. Interesting!

I talked to my CPM during my last pg about delaying payment until a certain time & she told me she stopped allowing people to do this because 90% of the time if she hadn't been paid the full amount by the time of the birth she didn't get paid the rest.
Sucks, but I can understand her POV. Hopefully yours will be more open to it!

I know being transfered doesn't necessarily mean a c/s but I can picture them working on my dh when they can't get very far with pressuring me. If they convince him delaying a c/s is putting the baby in danger, or a number of other scare tactics they like to use, & he starts to pressure me too.....ugh!! I can really see it happening.

I just need to have a positive outlook, I think. That & a good CNM & an open-minded backup OB & a well-oiled birth plan & maybe even a doula. At least I have some time to work that all out.

Shannon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts