Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old dd is getting into that point in life when throwing a tantrum is part of, erm..communicating (if that what you wanna call it) and when she gets upset all of a sudden she becomes a screaming, crying, human tripod. She just crumples, butt high in the air, hands and head on the floor. Honestly it scares me when we're on hard floors ("great, my kid's gonna knock herself out and I'm gonna be one of 'those' moms" whatever I mean by that I'm not sure, it's just the thought that goes through my head) Other times it's kinda comical... not to sound mean, but it *looks* really funny when she does it, several times dh and I have had to try very hard not to laugh.

Does anyone else's toddler do this??

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 20 month old has major breakdowns on a regular basis especially if I'm doing mean things like not letting her play with knives for example.

It is funny if you know they are just ripping mad, to me anyway. If she isn't hurt and we're at home away from embarrassing stares Often my laughing snaps her out of it.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Oh yes. We call it the "down dog" like in yoga.
I try not to bring her anywhere if she hasn't had a long nap that day. I also don't let her get down and run around (mean mama) when we are somewhere like a store because she wants to run away then. If I don't let her run...commmence screaming.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 15 month old daughter's tantrums start out with her arms flailing, and then she throws herself on the ground.

She seems to throw herself backward more than forward. So far she hasn't really hurt herself, but she has banged her head. If she starts to flip out when she's on a chair or table I let her down on to the floor so she doesn't go flying.

I suppose it's better to be amused by tantrums than it is to get upset about them. I try to be neutral, but my gut says I should try to be more empathetic. I suppose it depends on the reason for the tantrum.

She does the tripod thing quite a bit, but not as part of a tantrum. She just seems to prefer the view that way.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Our 15 month olds have had a conference. Nathan will throw himself on the floor in a heart beat when he doesn't get his way. Usually I try distracting him with something funny and tell him that its okay he's mad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.