Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
you'll probably laugh at my suggestion so sorry in advance....

First of all is your daughter mixed? I am and I know I spent most of life wishing I had straight hair. Turned out all the guys LOVED curly hair.

I didn't get a relaxer and I don't know your daughter's exact hair type, how dense her curls are etc but I would really really suggest you put it off until she's 12 or so. I know a lot mixed kids' hair changes texture drastically during puberty--mine certtainly did and I definitely did not need a relaxer.

I now only go to dominican hair salons (yep, that's my great suggestion, don't laugh) people roll their eyes when I say I'l only let them touch my hair, but they are really well trained stylists who are familiar with different textrues and lengths of curly hair. I never been less than 110% satsified with how my hair turned out, and it lasts, straight, a good long time, even in the heat of summer. It doesn't have that "processed & fried" smell/feel that you get in a black hair shop w/all the chemicals.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Oh I also wanted to add, try having her condition (NOT wash!) her hair every night before bed, and then while it's wet, finger comb it and twist it up into a bun for the night. Tie a scarf over it so it doesn't come loose and tangle. Or she can condition it in the AM before school and then use a good hydrating cream followed by a tiny bit of alcohol free mousse and it will stay pretty neat in a ponytail all day.

I use garnier fructis for the conditioner, profectiv hair cream, and whatever alcohol free mousse is cheapest, lol.

This is my "curly plan" for the last 5 years or so and so far no one has run from me screaming.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts