Mothering Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
There is a post in the multicultural families about this. It may be a few pages back now though.

Anyway, I don't have curly hair and my kids don't either, but I used to help my friend's daughter with her hair since she had no clue what to do with it. The method mentioned in that thread (I think its curly girl?) is basically what I showed her how to do. Rarely, if ever, shampoo. Use LOTS of conditioner. Use a stay in conditioner. Only brush it every once in awhile, while wet with lots of conditioner in it, and then make sure to create ringlets again. Keep her hair braided at night or up in a bun. Maybe braiding it during the day would help too?

Its entirely possible that if she doesn't have to endure brushing, tangles, frizzy hair, anything like that, that her whole attitude will change. If not, theres always the flat iron.
DUH me! I could have posted this thread there! Thank you!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlprof View Post
I have very curly hair and I longed for straight hair as a kid. Well, for longer than that, actually. At some point I started to like my curls, but that's not the same as being able to manage them. I only started to be able to manage them within the last few years. For me, it's all about the right combination of products. I use cheap shampoo and Aussie 3 minute miracle (DEEEEP) conditioner. I rinse the conditioner out, but I have curly friends who leave it in. This is cheap conditioner, but a lot of curly-haired folks swear by it. Then I use expensive Paul Mitchell mousse.

My son also has curly (long) hair. He uses expensive shampoo, some kind of cheap kid conditioner, my expensive mousse plus cheap J&J detangler. Yes, he's 5 and a boy and uses four kinds of product on his hair. This cracks me up but his hair (mostly) looks great. Neither of us uses a brush EVER, generally just a pic.

I tried the Curly Girl stuff and it was the best I'd had until I switched to the above routine.

Our hair dresser was the absolute best source of info on all this. When I was a kid, I remember just shampoo and then I was the weird one in the family for using conditioner. Getting my hair combed/brushed every morning was painful. And my hair mostly didn't look good. My mom had no idea what to do with it.
Your mom is me!
My dd goes to school often with frizzy hair or very wet hair then come home with a beautiful curly hair.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
I too have curly hair and when I was a kid and pre teen, always wanted straight hair. I think it has something to so with trying new looks.
When I was in 6th grade, my mom let me get it chemically relaxed. It didn't stay straight for very long, it came out within a couple weeks...so yeah, don't waste your money...

I would go for a flat iron, and I would do it in the evening and then pull it back in a scrunchie until morning. It will last a few days, until she washes it again and she will probably love it.

I found straightening my hair to be a lot easier to deal with than my curly locks, when I was a kid. IMO, it is probably a phase.
Disclaimer: My hair has been it's curly self since high school when I decided I liked my hair curly again.. lol
yeah, my dd feels that flat iron her hair before going to bed is so easy for her to comb during the morning before going to school. I feel that she looks so unnatural with straight hair because she's got a very beautiful hair. I'm so envious of her! LOL

21 - 24 of 24 Posts