Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my almost four year old and almost two year old (who is still nursing strong...) were in the bath together. I was straightening up outside the bathroom, and when I came back in, they were playing a game that involved them taking turns "nursing" from each other- they were actually taking turns sucking on each others' nipples.

I have to confess, I felt a little uncomfortable about it. They were having fun, and I didn't say anyhting or make a big deal about it, but I'm wondering if I should have put a stop to it and taked about private parts of the bodies. What do you think? Is it normal and appropriate, or should I have intervened?

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
I really don't consider it to be an issue. At that age, nipples are no more private than elbows or ears (or stomachs--- a part of the body that is also generally covered by clothing). If it makes you really uncomfortable, you could ask them to not, but I don't think it is wrong/bad in and of itself.

· Registered
43,104 Posts
Would you have stopped them if they were feeding each other bottles? What if they were taking turns sucking on eachothers elbows? I think it's fine, your reaction just shows how sensitized we are in this culture to the idea of breasts. Sadly a big reason people are uncomfortable with breastfeeding.

-Angela

· Registered
174 Posts
I would have probably said something to the effect of, "it's nice that you want to share your "num-nums" (that's what my DS called it) with your sister, but those are for mommy and _____(child's name).

Only because you don't want them to think it's OK to allow others to "share" their private body areas (for lack of a better term) with others. I know it was her sister, but I'd still be concerned about the privacy/personal space issue.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
I am sorry you are uncomfortable....I think it is kinda cute!

· Registered
12,176 Posts
I think it's cute too. My daughter nurses her stuffed animals, and tries to get me to nurse them (tho I have drawn the "mama needs to reserve her sanity" line at tandem nursing toys
). She jokes about nursing from other people, including her friends. She even got her father to nurse her bear once, and apparently insisted on "both sides!"

I think it's no big deal. Breasts to babes are not sexual. Your kids are playing and having fun about an activity that is special and bonding to them both. I'd just enjoy it.

· Registered
1,411 Posts
So I'm guessing that you'd think it's weird / inappropriate that Mr. Bleu and I frequently pull up Bleuet's shirt and demand "Milk!" "Milk!" "Give Mommy/Daddy some milk!" "Gimme that milk!" and loudly snuffle, snort, lick, suck, etc. his nipples? He laughs and says "Only mommies make milk!". This is bigtime humor in our household.

So, um, no, to the OP's question. Not weird to me. Your girls need to be much, much weirder than that to disturb me.

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I don't think it's inappropriate at all, since breasts are made for nursing. If it were my kids, I'd be one proud nursing mama!

At that age, a nipple is the same as a knee or a toe. If you think about it, just about any part of the body could be "sexual" - some people are turned on by someone sucking on their neck, or toes, or fingers, lower back, etc.

:LOL Bleu! My dh offers to nurse our children and they think it's hysterical! Our dd rolls her eyes, shakes her head and says, "Daddy...your nipples are TOO HAIRY!" She believes that when I have our baby in September that she's going to "grow breasts and nurse the baby." I have no doubt that she'll try!

Would it be wrong for my 3 year old dd to try to nurse her newborn sibling? Or just amazingly cute?

· Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyone's responses. As I've been thinking it out today (before I read anything anyone read here,) I realized that what I had was really just a knee jerk reaction. I was taken advantage of (sexually) by an older brother when I was growing up, and forced into some activities that I wasn't very comfortable with, and I think that's why I was slightly concerned this morning.

We are trying to be very open about bodies, and have always been very open about nursing, etc, so I'm glad to see that this is such an important, and integral part of their lives. And you're right, it is cute.

· Registered
8,471 Posts

It can be hard enough to overcome the societal induced hang-ups, let alone molestation induced ones! I think you are one awesome mom to be able to face your own discomfort and examine it for what it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.