Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my DD will NOT take a bottle. We started trying at 4-5 weeks, we did hot, cold, warm, fresh, frozen, refrigerated, Avent, Dr. Brown Playtex, Breastbottle, etc... on and on until at 13 weeks we went to a LC and she said that if it's stressing us all out (which it was), we should just drop it and try the sippy cup later.

So we did. Now at least a couple times a week we let her "play" with a sippy cup with a little bit of water in it. Pumped milk is too valuable for her to waste since she never actually drank any of it, so we just started with the water. We figured if she ever did start actually drinking it, we'd go back to milk.

Now we occasionally defrost some frozen milk (we have a chest freezer in the basement that we keep it in) and give it to her in the sippy just to check to make sure she's not not drinking the water, b/c well, it's boring old water....

I gave her some today and the milk was pumped at the very end of August, put in the deep freeze right away, and defrosted in the fridge overnight. She didn't drink it, big surprise. But it smelled funny. And the other frozen milk I have given her in the past also smelled a little funny, I just happened to notice it today. I've tried giving her freshly pumped milk, in case my milk didn't freeze well, but it was a no go...

Sorry, I'm rambling here, but I was curious to know if anyone had had this experience? Is there a science to pumping milk and storing it so that it doesn't taste nasty when they drink it? Do some people have body chemistries that make their pumped milk sour faster, or behave strangely? Could that be why she's never drank out of a bottle (except once)?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BambooMama View Post
Do some people have body chemistries that make their pumped milk sour faster, or behave strangely? Could that be why she's never drank out of a bottle (except once)?
Yep, at least that was my experience. After doing a lot of reading on-line (I think www.kellymom.com has good info on this, like everything else breastfeeding-related), I concluded that I probably had a problem with high lipase levels, which causes the milk to break down and spoil really quickly, even if it is refrigerated or frozen. The only solution I found anywhere was to scald the milk immediately after pumping it and before storing it, although I think I also read somewhere recently that it might be possible to decrease lipase levels through dietary changes.

For me, adding the scalding step to the already nearly impossible task of pumping (no let-down and maybe 1 oz at a time) and trying to get DS to take a bottle (no way, no how) was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. So, in his almost 24 months of life, my DS has only had his milk straight from the tap. Thankfully, I was able to find a nanny to watch DS close to my office and bring him to me to nurse on the 3 days a week that I work.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBearMama View Post
Yep, at least that was my experience.
I was afraid of that.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBearMama View Post
Yep, at least that was my experience.
For me, adding the scalding step to the already nearly impossible task of pumping (no let-down and maybe 1 oz at a time) and trying to get DS to take a bottle (no way, no how) was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. So, in his almost 24 months of life, my DS has only had his milk straight from the tap. Thankfully, I was able to find a nanny to watch DS close to my office and bring him to me to nurse on the 3 days a week that I work.
We've resorted to just accepting that we won't graduate in the same amount of time than if she'd taken a bottle. Now DH brings her to me once during my work time, which lately has only been around 5-6 hours in the morning, 4 days a week... I love the "straight from the tap" comment. DH and I joke about that all the time. We call me taking a shower, "cleaning the taps."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.