Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this when she was little, and now still. Certain foods make her face red wherever they touch. Some that come to mind- tomatoes, cinnamon, hummus, babaganoush. The redness goes away fairly soon after she eats. I am assuming this is some kind of mild allergy, but if it isn't hurting her can she keep eating these foods? TIA. She eats dairy, soy, fish, peanuts, wheat- no probs.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amila View Post
I noticed this when she was little, and now still. Certain foods make her face red wherever they touch. Some that come to mind- tomatoes, cinnamon, hummus, babaganoush. The redness goes away fairly soon after she eats. I am assuming this is some kind of mild allergy, but if it isn't hurting her can she keep eating these foods? TIA. She eats dairy, soy, fish, peanuts, wheat- no probs.
It could be a sensitivity to salicylates. Hummus and babganoush can contain spices and oils that are high in salicylates and tomatoes and cinnamon definitely are. With salicylates, from what I've read, it's not a matter of avoidance but of tolerance. People have to figure out what their threshold is. Does her behavior ever seem "off" when she eats too many of those foods? Is her poop different? Here's a link, if you're interested: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...all~order=page

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other ideas.

·
Registered
984 Posts
thanks for the bit about saca lates (something) never thought of that--my son get this with a LOT of food---had been getting it with eggs too for the past year--just recently they started turning more welty on his face-just went and got the RAST test and he is IgE allergic to eggs (fairly bad)--and it makes me nervous about letting him eat other things that his face gets red with--becuase that's how it was in the beginning with eggs.

that's my 2 bits---off to look up about the sac a somethings-...becuase my son's face gets red with tomatoes and cinnamon too!

·
Registered
690 Posts
We get that here too. My DD also tested allergic to eggs and we discovered some other sensitivities through an elimination diet. When I see her face get red from something I've made the choice to avoid the food for her. I'm not an expert - this is just my opinion. I figure if it's making her face red, what is going on inside that I can't see? It's not so many foods (citrus, strawberries, tomato) and there are plenty of others for her to enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.