Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a job working 3-11pm two nights per week. DS is 14 months old and shares our bed and currently nurses to sleep every night. How can I make it easier for dh to put him to bed? I follow a night time schedule which includes bath and reading but when dh follows the same schedule ds ends up crying himself to sleep. I don't want to wean ds (my mother's suggestion) but I need to work! Please help! Are any of you in this predicament?

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
I still nurse my dd to sleep and she is 27 mos. When I go out at night, dh can put her to sleep just fine. They read stories after a bath and they snuggle and watch a cute movie and she will fall asleep in his arms.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It may help for dh to incorporate a different thing (though it can also include bath/reading); a daddy-specific routine. Dh used to walk ds in his arms and sing to him until ds was close to sleep, then lie down w/him and sing/rub his back. Dh could take ds for a walk in the stroller/sling or a short car ride, play a sleep-time calming game, give ds a massage, etc. Something that only they would do together. If dh wants to make the transition easier, he could take over nap duty on the weekend and use the same thing. For that to work, you have to be out of the house/room (ds will hold out for you if you're there).

The bottom line is this: the more exposure ds has to dh putting him to sleep, the easier it will get. That's why you can tell mother weaning wouldn't help anyway - it has more to do with the fact that you're mommy and you typically are the one to help ds get to sleep.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have some client meetings in the evening, so DH started doing HIS OWN bedtime routine (based losely on mine initially) several months ago.

We decided that doing it every other night, or at random intervals was not a good idea for our child, who likes consistency...so we had DH do bedtime every single night, for literally 2 weeks straight. There was some struggle, unhappy tears and fighting sleep. We also opted to give DS a bottle of milk.

For me, it was hard when DS struggled and called for me. So I had to leave the house for the first few nights - but after 2-3 nights, there was little fuss at all, and DS settled down happily into the new daddy-routine.

Fastforward to today, and DH does bedtime BETTER and FASTER than I can. I am stunned. Even when I am home alone to do bedtime, DS now requests daddy, and is sad when DH is not there to read or tell him stories. Interesting transition, but it has made DH so, so proud and happy.

(I am not complaining either since I now get evenings "off" - esp considering I am 7 months pg with #2!)

Good luck with YOUR transition, however you decide to do it.

p.s. Children are so adaptable...don't be surprised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.