Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working on eating healthier -- getting away from processed crap, eating more whole foods etc. It's really nothing to drastic -- we aren't going to a totally vegan or raw diet or anything like that -- just reducing the amount of meat and dairy, having more vegies....

Anyway, DH says he wants to do this. He is the one who brought it up this time (we've talked about it before but never managed to stick with it for long). This is only our second week. Last night after dinner (which was lovely) he asked me to go to the store and get him Pepsi and Pringles

I just looked at him. I couldn't believe it. He got really defensive, talked about how tired he was (he worked 12 hours yesterday) and how he just wanted to relax blah blah blah.

I think he has the easy part of the eating healthier -- I have to find new recipes and learn how to cook them. He just shows up

I'm so frustrated. I'm going stick with preparing and eating healthy foods for my sake and for the kids, but I don't have any control over him.

Do your partners help with efforts on the food front, or do they make it harder?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
My dh will eat anything, but here's my opinion --

Adults can eat whatever they want. I have def been known to have Pringles and Diet Coke out of sight of my kids. I wouldn't ask my dh to go get it, though.

As long as you're all setting a good example for your kids, you have to give up control over the diets of adults. Nagging doesn't help at all.

OTOH, the cleaner your diet, the more whole, fresh food you offer, the less your tastebuds will crave the junk.

Even though i joke about diet coke and pringles, it's a rare thang- and only when I am PMSing.

Take it slowly. Cold turkey is hard, and maybe subsitute some junk 'health' foods for the crap. There are lots of chips that are not as horrible for you as Pringles. And maybe sparkling water or juices can help with the Pepsi cravings. And there are 'natural' colas out there that are not so bad as Pepsi.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
My DH is pretty much the same as yours...he'll eat whatever I prepare and then eats junk on his own.
: I can't really control him though.

I see it like a junky...they swear they want to get clean, but then resistance is futile. And sugars/carbs/ etc do have addictive tendencies.

(On a related note, I read something once how processed grains...white flour, etc....created similar reactions as heroine addiction to some kids in the study. I think it was a study with autistic kids, a friend had forwarded it to me and her boys are autistic and carb junkies. Thought that was interesting.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts