Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My DD hates taking a bath, a shower, even a sponge bath. But she will splash around in rain puddles, filthy pools of standing water w/ rotting leaves, and irrigation sprlinkers. really nneed som suggestions because she gets dirty and each day she doesn't bath gets even more dirty. HELP

·
Registered
459 Posts
When my DS was going through an anti-bath phase (he's over it, thankfully), I decided to appeal to his love of playing in water and exercising his independence. We have a shower stall and a baby bathtub, so I put the baby tub into the shower stall, filled it with water, and put a bunch of cups and toys in it. As soon as he saw it, he walked right into the shower stall and started splashing and playing. He loves to pour water from one cup to another, and he eventually started dumping it on himself. Once he was wet, he had no objection to me turning on the shower head, soaping him up, and actually getting him clean. But basically, it had to be his choice to go in, and it had to appear to be a fun activity rather than a mommy-mandated bath.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CalBearMama
Thank you for your suggestion. I have one question , my DD was born 11/04 too. When did your DC start and end this phase?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
we bathe through tears. EVERY TIME. We have a lot fewer baths than we'd like but DD SCREAMS! She loves playing in water and we can get her wet most days at the wading pool but getting her soapy (and her hair wet!) is a crying proposition.

We have tons of toys and recently bought a bunch of bath crayons. Kept her quiet for half a bath. Hope they work next time too!

she's 15 months. baths have been hard for about 5 months now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im the opiosite! She loves the bath and its hard to get her out! Why dont you try taking her to the store with you and buying bubbles! My DD LOVES bubbles and has them in her bath everytime! Also let her pick some yummy smelling shampoo and bring in her favorite toys with her! Goodluck!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Do you get in the tub with her? For our DD's bath (she's almost 19 months) she will usually say, "no no no" when I ask her if she wants to take a bath, but if I draw the water, get in, start playing with bubbles in there, she usually hangs out in the bathroom for 3-4 minutes before trying to climb into the tub.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
DD usually loves her bathtime but every so often she goes through a "no way" phase. With the insane heat and her fondness for dirt though a bath of some sort is not optional!

We have an inflatable "turtle" shaped toddler tub that fits inside our regular bath tub (we got it at Target, I've seen them in other places too as well as duckie shaped tubs). I fill it with water and have the hand held shower sprayer angled to make "rain". Then I strip dd and put on her rain boots while talking up how much fun it is to play in the rain (which she does, in fact, love). She's usually willing to splash and play in the "rain" and "puddle" while I do a quick soapy rub down and rinse.

Also, dd loves her kiddie pool so some days when she's really anti-bath I plop her in the kiddie pool on the back porch and just dump water over her head while she plays. She thinks it's a game and it gets the sweat and dirt off pretty well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
my ds loves water but HATES washing his hair. so we just don't do it. we get his head wet whenever we can and scrub his scalp, but thats it.

i agree with pp who said to make it into playtime. if you can just get her WET, thats really good enough. a hose is a great way to do that. also getting in the bath with her.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Agreed. Bathtime does not have to be at bedtime. Get the kiddie pool out, perhaps find a non-sudsy, tear-free soap to put on your hands instead of a washcloth. Use a watering can to 'shower.'

If she notices the soap and throw a fit, at least there is clean water to rinse off the grind.

I found by not bathing the kids every single day that they have been less prone to infections. In two years they each only had one ear infection. Their peds scratch their heads every time they look at their chart thinking it's a misprint!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by medeanj
Agreed. Bathtime does not have to be at bedtime. Get the kiddie pool out, perhaps find a non-sudsy, tear-free soap to put on your hands instead of a washcloth. Use a watering can to 'shower.'

If she notices the soap and throw a fit, at least there is clean water to rinse off the grind.

I found by not bathing the kids every single day that they have been less prone to infections. In two years they each only had one ear infection. Their peds scratch their heads every time they look at their chart thinking it's a misprint!
It's funny you mention that the kids have fewer infections because they don't bathe as often. I've found the same. In almost two years, my daughter has yet to have an ear infection, and has never really been very sick....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frannyfresh
CalBearMama
Thank you for your suggestion. I have one question , my DD was born 11/04 too. When did your DC start and end this phase?
I'm having trouble remembering because it was actually a while ago. Maybe when he was about 15 or 16 months old, I'm guessing. It didn't last long, because I hit on the idea I mentioned before, and that pretty much took care of the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts